• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 M2 build

kris

yeah!  a  bit of progress!!!  gnarly looking header. :)

too late for you, but the wilwood CPB rear caliper with integral parking brake i used has been great.  more than enough braking power with the larger 1.62in piston for track use. i don't even need a pressure limit valve to balance with the front superlights with 1.75in pistons.  simpler and lighter than doing separate spot calipers. running a 25mm 750i master cyl.

2xM3

yeah!  a  bit of progress!!!  gnarly looking header. :)

too late for you, but the wilwood CPB rear caliper with integral parking brake i used has been great.  more than enough braking power with the larger 1.62in piston for track use. i don't even need a pressure limit valve to balance with the front superlights with 1.75in pistons.  simpler and lighter than doing separate spot calipers. running a 25mm 750i master cyl.

Yes that would have been great info a while back ;)

If this doesn't work out I will look at a retrofit. Running the same master. I have a track car (E46 M3) but after watching your Sears Point vids I want to complete the half cage, put in my harnesses and track this thing!

70 M2 2.5L 

Trunk setup, battery placement, fuel line plumbing and in-trunk filler. PO shaved the gas cap.

post-33355-0-66037400-1400081062_thumb.jpost-33355-0-24821200-1400081090_thumb.j

Oil cooler location mock up

post-33355-0-85531300-1400081129_thumb.j

Clearance in the passenger footwell for the exhaust

post-33355-0-92325500-1400081238_thumb.jpost-33355-0-36456800-1400081270_thumb.j

70 M2 2.5L 

I want to complete the half cage, put in my harnesses and track this thing!

you would not be sorry if you did!  the driving experience is best descibed as "primitive" compared with a well sorted E30/E36/E46 track car, but it is a total hoot that is amplified by the sick pleasure gained from putting much newer cars to shame.  B)

like the mods you have done to delete tire well, accomodate tranny and clear the exhaust system.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Wow - you're putting a lot more work into that (former) shell.

What is the black tab on the right rear shock tower for?

Hi Jim, I have a custom charcoal canister made of aluminum going there. I will dig for a pic of it. Edited by kris

70 M2 2.5L 

you would not be sorry if you did! the driving experience is best descibed as "primitive" compared with a well sorted E30/E36/E46 track car, but it is a total hoot that is amplified by the sick pleasure gained from putting much newer cars to shame. B)

like the mods you have done to delete tire well, accomodate tranny and clear the exhaust system.

Agreed, nothing like running down more powerful and modern cars. I'm guessing that the low speed steering might be a weak point vs a rack and pinion setup. That and I guess the sophistication of the modern BMW suspension setup. Are you running an e21 5 spd? And if so, what rear end? Does the car make decent downforce above 100mph? Edited by kris

70 M2 2.5L 

low and high speed steering require some muscle.  and yes, although the basic design of the 2002 and E30 suspensions are the same, the CG and track differences make the 2002 a very "lively" car.  E36 and E46's are so easy to drive fast smoothly it is almost cheating.

e21 5spd.  4.44 rear for Summit Point.  would use 4.10 for tracks with longer straights like VIR.

zero issues with stability to 120+. rock solid.  (in the summit vid i posted before i am at 122mph before T1 brake zone.)

2xM3

• 1 year later...

Well I'm back.  It's been a year or so and in that time some good progress has been made on the M2.  We are close to starting it, hopefully in the next 2 weeks.  The goal is to drive it this summer. In the meantime I got the racing bug and went to BMW CCA Club racing school and bought a C Mod E36 M3.  

20tmhwy.jpg

The M2 - engine is ready to be dropped in, body wiring is complete, brake line routing is pretty much finished.  The lines for the front passenger side caliper had to go in the nose because the engine will be back/down not leaving too much room on the firewall.

aqkg8.jpg

70 M2 2.5L 

• 5 months later...