• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 M2 build

kris

I'm starting the build of an M2, a car I've wanted to build since I started restoring my tii way back in 2006. Something about shoving the ultimate street iteration of the M10 into an 02 just seems downright cool.

tii build

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,282546/highlight,/

The tii was never the car for an s14 for obvious reasons, and driving Blunt's M2 a few years back sold me on the fact that I would build one at some point to coexist with the tii, kind of the best of the "stock" and modded 02 worlds. Now that the tii is essentially "done" (are they really ever done?), I have been casually looking around for an early (non numbers matching) car or shell to use as the basis of an M2 build.

My goals

early shell, short bumpers, no knee trim etc

shaved US reflectors

early interior, dash, gauges

sleeper look, no flares etc etc

2.5L S 14 build

5 speed (e21 or CR tbd)

bulletproof driveline...

scheels

rear seat delete

some Alpina bits here and there

a lot of brakes, front and rear

A/C (tii has 2/70 AC)

becker + ipod connectivity

I lucked into the shell, already stripped and refinished when a board member decided to sell his project.

It's a Sahara '70 shell, stripped to bare metal, and refinished with Glasurit. Also came with early bumpers and glass. And I picked up a pretty set of staggered RS that he pieced together (actually need to be sealed but he did the hard work.

The shell was in Az, and I live in Toronto, so there were a bunch of phone calls, and an inspection, but overall it was a great transaction. The other thing left to do on the body is to POR15 the bottom.

Sneak peek

post-1614-1366764821042_thumb.jpg

post-1614-13667648212626_thumb.jpg

70 M2 2.5L 

Some other stuff I've been working on

Front suspension/brakes

Alpina green dot struts refinished by Sports Car Restoration (courtesy of Mike B), Bilsteins revalved to proper Alpina specs

New E21 hubs/bearings from blunttechclassic.com

Massive Brakes new floating rotor kit

70-M2-project-10-L.jpg

70 M2 2.5L 

Donor S14 coming from the "left" coast, Vancouver BC

Solid motor out of a running car which had rust issues

140,000km, great compression etc

Bottom end will be replaced with an EVO III block, pistons, crank and the head will be reworked

post-1614-13667648214652_thumb.jpg

70 M2 2.5L 

Damn...this is going to be sick! I wish I had the coin to do a 2.5L S14 swap, maybe in 10 years.

If you're going for a bullet proof driveline, have you considered the E21 trailing arms? They've got better hubs than the '02, only add 10mm to the track width, and are probably stiffer than the tii trailing arms. Also, the E21 LSD would bolt in with out any spacers or redrilled hubs since the whole back end would be E21. Only downside is you'd have to weld on new sway bar mounts, spring perches, and make an adapter for a disc caliper.

Subscribed. You've got a nice project on your hands. Look forward to following your progress.

thanks Evan

Damn...this is going to be sick! I wish I had the coin to do a 2.5L S14 swap, maybe in 10 years.

If you're going for a bullet proof driveline, have you considered the E21 trailing arms? They've got better hubs than the '02, only add 10mm to the track width, and are probably stiffer than the tii trailing arms. Also, the E21 LSD would bolt in with out any spacers or redrilled hubs since the whole back end would be E21. Only downside is you'd have to weld on new sway bar mounts, spring perches, and make an adapter for a disc caliper.

Thanks, currently looking at a modified E30 setup with the help of Rob Torres/2002 Haus, but E21 is a great option as well.

Subscribed. You've got a nice project on your hands. Look forward to following your progress.

+1. Kris, are you keeping it Sahara?

Yep, Sahara it is, a real 70's color in my books. Hard part is piecing together the interior to go with black scheels.

I always wanted a brother!

Kris - I see another "favorite car" being built by you.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this build. Your hotel pics remind me of how wet it was at The Vintage

70 M2 2.5L 

Got a set of factory option Scheel sport seats from a FAQer. They need some work, but I really like the fact that they were factory option, and that they are ready to go with 2002 sliders etc.

They will at some point make their way across the US and into Canada where they will be recovered with grey/black Scheel corduroy and vinyl. Many thanks to Steve J who picked these up for me locally in SF and gets the considerable joy of packing them. I owe you Steve!

Seat pics as they sit are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billywayneyancey/sets/72157627347645751/

New material looks like this (on the right)

P1060520-L.jpg

70 M2 2.5L 

Hey. I have a pair like that. In black.

;-)

Save that BMWCCA decal too!

Cheers,

Ray

Got a set of factory option Scheel sport seats from a FAQer. They need some work, but I really like the fact that they were factory option, and that they are ready to go with 2002 sliders etc.

They will at some point make their way across the US and into Canada where they will be recovered with grey/black Scheel corduroy and vinyl. Many thanks to Steve J who picked these up for me locally in SF and gets the considerable joy of packing them. I owe you Steve!

Seat pics as they sit are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billywayneyancey/sets/72157627347645751/

New material looks like this (on the right)

P1060520-L.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 3 weeks later...

Some recent pics, not a boatload of progress lately as I started a new job a few weeks ago.

S14 got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment plus a black valve cover before being buttoned up for the trip from Vancouver to Toronto

P9210273-M.jpg

P9210274-M.jpg

P9230290-M.jpg

P9230293-M.jpg

My 4 year old and I did a bit of beltline trim work on the car. He was actually quite good at pushing in the clips. *Bad pic alert* I took these pics with my iPad.

Tail panel trim (yes I own one NOS tail light with a red center and no right to go with it)

photo-4-M.jpg

photo-3-M.jpg

photo-2-M.jpg

70 M2 2.5L