• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it Flasher relay or Hazard Switch?

Poderosso71

This is regarding my 72 tii, now i know the Hazard button is broken,the hazards stay on all the time unless i presss the button in,currently a tooth pick does the that job.Once the button is in,the hazards are off. However,the turn signals dont work at all. From searching around,i found out that turn signal flasher relay and hazard switch are connected..Since only the hazard button is broken and not the hazard switch itself,i suspect the turn signal flasher relay is at fault, however i have so many other things to fix that i really dont wanna spend money on something i did't even need in a first place. Could a broken hazard button cause the turn signals not to work?...yes i have checked the fuses and cleaned the lights/conections with no results..

Any help is greatly appriciated..

1972 BMW 2002 -sold

1999 BMW 328is M Technik -sold

1972 BMW 2002tii

1998 BMW M3 SEDAN

Do a search on the flasher relay. Mike Self had some success in cleaning up and resurecting his.

The Hazard switch ~can~ be taken apart. The inners of the hazard switch operate like a clicky ball point pen. Usually, the fault is that the flat spring that holds the pin weakens and the pin pops out of place. This allows the plunger to eject. I've repaired a few and they seem to last for several years. However, if your car is parked for the whole day or more, and the switch pops out, your hazards will go on. You'll usually find a dead or very low battery. Sometimes you might have ~just ~enough juice to crank the motor once.

The replacement hazard switch is slightly different in the cosmetics from the original one. But it is plug and play, and should last many years.

If you are on a tight budget, I'd give the rebuilds a try. Just make sure you already own a set of jumper cables.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Then there is the school of thought that were you to 'repair' the switch, and it did indeed last several years as the previous reply suggests, what are the prospects that the replacement switch will still be available when the repaired switch finally gives up the ghost, the car is now 45 yrs. old and a replacement is NLA?

It may be prudent to consider biting the bullet now and replace it, repair the old switch as shelf stock, if ever needed.

The answer will depend a great deal on what your longterm plans for the car may be.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

It may be prudent to consider biting the bullet now and replace it, repair the old switch as shelf stock, if ever needed.

That's how I ended up with three hazard switches for my car. The new one is in there right now until I have bench time to diagnose the two originals.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I would spend a few min fixing the emergency flasher its not hard. Then you can diagnose the turn signal problem without any problems. Once I did one I fixed all three of the ones I had.

Dave

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"