• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a stock Tii air cleaner fit with a Top End strut brace?

EcoAuto

I've been offered this stock, freshly powder coated Tii air cleaner (photo #1,3,4) and it would look so pretty in my engine bay. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it. Can anyone tell me if a stock Tii air cleaner fits when a Top End Performance front strut tower and engine brace is installed? I currently have Top End's "elbow" air cleaner in my car (photo #2).

post-18606-13667646503704_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667646504866_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667646508047_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667646509193_thumb.jpg

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii
Fjord # 037 / blue interior

I didn't see info about air filter compatibility on High Performance's website. I've emailed them to ask, and expect their answer tomorrow, but I was hoping to hear direct experience from Tii owners who own the HP brace. It looks like the Ireland Engineering brace is the better solution.

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii

Yes... it'll fit! Got the answer I wanted to hear from Top Performance:

It "fits fine with the stock Tii Air Filter housing in place…Our pipe and filter upgrade is just a nice performance option but you can retain the stock if you want. Thank you"

Steve Nelson

President TEP Inc. dba

Top-End Performance

http://www.topendperformance.com

7452 Varna Ave N.Hollywood CA 91605

818 764-1901

e-mail: topend@racetep.com

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii

Mine fits fine but you already know that. I seem to recall a member was doing a "AB" test on a Tii with a stock housing and a aftermarket unit or units, never read the results but I bet the stock silencer type design is the least flowing option. Particularly where the air is sourced from, not good.

post-15138-13667646809502_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see his performance data on his "nice performance option."

Kudos for returning to the stock assembly.

Cheers,

Ray

Yes... it'll fit! Got the answer I wanted to hear from Top Performance:

It "fits fine with the stock Tii Air Filter housing in place…Our pipe and filter upgrade is just a nice performance option but you can retain the stock if you want. Thank you"

Steve Nelson

President TEP Inc. dba

Top-End Performance

http://www.topendperformance.com

7452 Varna Ave N.Hollywood CA 91605

818 764-1901

e-mail: topend@racetep.com

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks for the photo of the air cleaner with the brace installed. That's a big help. I'm looking forward to installing the nice shiny powder coated air filter that came with the rebuilt engine I bought. Restoring my 02 is as close as I'll likely to get to time travel, and I am prioritizing stock over higher performance, provided I'm not hurting street drivability.

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii