• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!! universal igniton switch

so my ignition tumbler fell apart on me and i want to use a universal ignition switch in the mean time while i wait to get a bmw one but im having trouble wiring it up so what i was wondering is what would i wire up as the accessory and ignition cuz the stock ignition switch is alittle confusing alittle help would be nice thank you

check archives as there have been posting on which wire at the ign switch goes where. The three basic wires are

1. the hot lead from the battery--it's got +12v all the time

2. the lead that goes to the coil; with the ign switch turned to the on or run position, it'll be hot; with the ign off, it'll be dead

3. the lead that goes to the starter solenoid. It's only energized when the key is turned to the start position.

There's also an accessory position (marked "Garage" on the ign switch) that powers things like your radio. It's the first position after off, and before you get to "Ign on."

If you can't find a diagram, it's easy to figure out which is which. First find the hot lead, using a voltmeter (wire #1 above) It should read +12 volts. Then touch it to one of the other wires. If the dash lights come on (alternator, oil pressure etc) then you've found wire #2. Now touch the hot lead to another wire. If the starter spins, you've found wire #3. The remaining wire (s) go to the accessory position--connect wire #1 to them and your radio and other accessories should come on.

It's better (and safer) to do this after you've consulted a wiring diagram but the above will work. Just watch for sparks when you touch wire together.

cheers and BE CAREFUL!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite