• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first BMW 2002

Nemo

hello everyone my name is bavli nashed and im currently a engineer student at UH. i have worked on cars a lot before and this is not my 1st bmw to work on i have done a lot of work on my cousin's BMW e30 and e92.

i about to buy my 1st carburetor car and im pretty excited to start working on it. car has minor rust in it of course. normal for a car this age. but the car is having a problem starting and its dude to no spark. and there is a bunch of wires running everywhere around where the coil pack is. i should be getting the car today and ill start looking into it, and see whats the problem. but any help i get i will be very thankful for that.

any wiring diagrams of the electric stuff with the car or if someone had the same problem and was able to figure it out i can use any help i get.

Thank you all and hope to meet some of you guys in person too soon. thanks again

Bavli Nashed

Welcome!

Not to be flippant, but search function is your best friend, not to mention a time-saver. Learn to use it, this topic has been covered 100 times at least.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Also at minimum buy a Haynes book, has a bunch of diagrams and usable information. Read the FAQ's and read up here via search.

No spark can be multiple things. 12v not getting to the coil. Bad rotor, bad wires, not testing the spark right, bad condenser, bad points. First thing I would check is are you getting 12v to the coil, then I would replace the points and condenser(It's like 20 bucks, I'm a student and I know you're pain but just do it.). If it's not those 2 replace, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor (It's good to do these anyways). From there if you still have no spark something else is wrong like a bad coil. Mind you I'm an amateur so these are somethings I would do maybe not in this exact order but to get spark on these cars it's pretty simple stuff and 150 bucks to replace most of the ignition stuff. Good luck!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

ya i have ordered the book because there is a couple of wires that are cut and not connected from and to the coil so im trying to see what all that is. thanks alot for your help man. i really appreciate it. i hope to her her running by this weekend. ill also try to get some pictures and stuff of her soon.

• 2 weeks later...

alright so i changed the rotor and cap on it and that did it. started getting very weak spark and after those im getting a pretty good powerful spark but my ignition switch is bad so now to that! ill keep you guys updated

I got one for cheap if ya need one.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2