• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

525i non-running issue question

smichaelq

I was told by a garage that I had lost compression in my engine and that I had to replace it. The car is an e34 525i w/175K on it.

I did some research and thought it was a nikasil problem.

A prospective buyer just called and asked some questions. He doesn't believe its a compression issue. He said the engine doesn't have nikasil and that I should try putting in a new fuel pump as the engine turns but will not start.

Any thoughts? If I dont have to sell it right away that would be great. I need a car while I work on my tii.

If anyones in the NoVA area and could offer an opinion/take a look I'd appreciate it.

1973 2002tii "Pinchy"

2006 Mini Cooper

1964 Vespa VBB

2007 Toyota 4Runner

http://qstii.blogspot.com

Sean -

What garage did you take it to? There are several in the area - I believe the closest is Foreign Car Service at the end of Bashford Lane near the river. You might be able to get some advice from them (not sure if they would want to tow it to the shop first for diagnosis). Call Andy or Fritz Kestermann @ (703) 549-4100 and tell them Jim Gerock sent you.

Have you checked to see if the fuel pump fuse is OK? Can you hear the fuel pump running with the key on?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It was at Tonys.

I just went down to European. They said it would be at least $109 to look at.

Im gonna check the pump, fuse and relay and see if thats it. Then $50 on ebay and I've got my car back.

Nick at EUro Imports said Tonys had no idea what they were talking about. Usually they are good. Nick knows his stuff and I haven't dealt with Eurpoean, yet. I may bring Pinchy to them when I get the lights working.

1973 2002tii "Pinchy"

2006 Mini Cooper

1964 Vespa VBB

2007 Toyota 4Runner

Sean,

Do you drive until the fuel light comes on? Have you not replaced the fuel filter, regularly? Did it fail to start after a fill-up?

If the car is full of gas; take off the fuel filler cap, grab something with some mass and bang on the fuel tank on the "flat" where the pick up rests.

Try to start it.

If it starts, you're due a pump really soon, AND it's really simple to do yourself at home in the driveway.

HTH,

Randy Bryant

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

I used to have a 535i E34. I'm assuming the 525i has similar characteristics. If you have no ignition (coil, crank pulse sensor, etc.) then the ECU shuts down the fuel pump so you don't flood the engine. And of course the engine won't start. I would double-check those first. A quick way to check If fuel is getting to the fuel rail is to disconnect the fuel regulator (engine off) and fuel should spray out. you can also hook up a fuel pressure guage in-line before the fuel regulator. Any good garage should be able to test all that. I've got E34 repair manuals and fuel pressure testers if you need to borrow them.

71 2002

06 330i

take your car(s) to alexandria bavarian service just south of potomac yards mall. close and very good. owner drives a 2002tii and owns the m10 powere 328 replicar featured in latest DB.

no compression? did they do a compression test to actually verify this? if so, what were the numbers? that sounds hokey. iirc, the nikasil problem was only in the initial v8's, which you don't have...

2xM3

How did the shop verify "lost compression"? Did they actually run a test?

You don't have nikasil, that issue only affected the early 3 & 4 litre V8s, and was pretty apparent by 20-30k miles. The heads were either replaced or the issue wasn't present.

What was the car actually doing to you?

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

The garage did a "test" that said there was low compressionon 1,3 & 6. Now I don't buy it.

Basically, the car would periodically rumble; revs would dip down and then everything was fine. One day, the car would turn over and try it's damnest to start, but no joy. I took it to the garage and got my fake diagnosis.

Now the battery is dead. So I will charge it this week end and check the pump with the mm, bang it and do anything else anyone suggests.

I'm just pissed cuz I've been without a car since feb cuz I thought I had to replace the engine. Thank the car gods for this guy in Arlington!!

I'll check back this weekend.

1973 2002tii "Pinchy"

2006 Mini Cooper

1964 Vespa VBB

2007 Toyota 4Runner

• 4 weeks later...