• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 2002 Northern California $11500 (nt)

KarenBerkeley

It's best to host your photo's on another site like photobucket.com and include the IMG tag in your post or a link to your photo album. There is a size requirement on pictures posted on this site so that is a way around it.

Nice 02. You could try to put your dogs blanket or bed in the back seat. That's how we got our dog to ride with us. ;)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Karen - Go through your receipts and talk to your mechanic to get some better details to justify your asking price, Rebuilt engine and transmission ?Suspension and rubber bushings gone through ?

Honestly the pictures you posted in the CL add show a 3 thousand dollar car. Better detailed pictures engine compartment, interior and areas prone to rust will help sell your car. See if your mechanic will put the car on a lift and take pictures of the underside. For the price you are asking the car would have to have the work done that I asked about and either have preferred performance parts or be an original survivor. Your blue 2002 is not an original color.

The money that you have put into your car is rarely re-couped when you sell it.

Hit the add attachment button to add more pictures. If it is not accepting pictures they may need to be re-sized to a smaller size.

Good Luck

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

this is a fine example......

of one of the poorest classified ads i've ever seen...it slays me that someone asks huge bucks which the car may be worth, without listing any contact information, pictures of the car, absolutely no description...except for the dog and aging mother

get real girl...if that is your car on craigslist, would have have been so difficult for you to at least have linked to it in your ad?

rant...sorry

I respectfully disagree.

A real and serious buyer will contact the seller for adittional necessary info.

contact the seller how?.....your address, telephone number or email address is listed where in your original post?

norcal is a large area

The CL add has a reply to function.

Looking To Buy A Roundie Near SoCal

Adolf - 1993 BMW 325i - Daily

Titus - 2010 Cannondale CAAD8 S6 - My Green Contribution

Vittoria - 1999 Ducati 900 SuperSports - When Time Is Of The Essence

thank you, I don't know how to reduce the size or cut and paste or link so I'm clearly at a disadvantage here. I have put an album on shutterfly but didn't know how to make that available to the public. As far as the dog, he needs an open window and there is only those little vent windows in the back and I don't want any issues of heat for a 92 pound dog. But thanks for trying to help, I would work on this ad more but I don't think I am up to the level of interrogation and don't want to put my mechanic in the position of selling my car. I have been replying I thought to each comment on this site but it wasn't going through. So I'm about done with this site and will go through my mechanic and craigslist in the future. Thank you most everyone for trying to help me.

I can make all the bills available if you want a fax of them. I don't understand this forum. I love old BMWs and just wanted to sell this car, not make a full page ad or go through a defense. If there is someone seriously interested in discussing the car, my e mail is available through the craigslist ad which has been posted by someone else. Thanks everyone and goodbye

Ok, I feel like I need to put my 2 cents here. I used to own this car about 8-9 years ago and I'm a little irritated by this situation. Let me give some history. I bought this car from a guy in Livermore CA about 10 years ago. He was the second or 3rd owner and he completely redid the car for his wife. He basically put all new suspension (blisteins, eibachs, new bushings, etc) rebuilt the top end of the engine, put new interior and had the car repainted in a custom color. The paint job was done right (engine and interior were out of the car).

I bought the car for around 4K in 2001 i think and I did all the maintenance (oil changes and fixing little things here and there). I sold the car after about a year and a half to pay off some bills. I sold it to a high school girl in Napa who's father bought it for her and she apparently thrashed the car. I know this because I always regreted selling this car and for years I browsed the classifieds, hoping that I would find it for sale again. I saw it on craigslist a couple of years ago and drove out to Napa that day with cash in hand to buy it. She was asking around 6k for the car and I figured that it was my fault for selling it to her for around 4K years before.

When i saw it in person, I almost cried, because she had let the car go so badly. She admits that she was not very good at driving stick and she crashed the car in front (bumper and grills needed to be replaced) and backed into something as well (rear bumper and rear section under trunk lid had a crease) She claimed it had always been parked in her garage but that was a lie because the top of the back seat was cracked from sun exposure. Also, some kid on a bike crashed into the driver side door and left some huge scratches on the paint. I then took it for a test drive and when I turned on the blinker, smoke stated to come out of the steering column. The car ran like crap and the brakes pulled to the left…it was a complete mess.

Needless to say I had to walk away from purchasing the car I had always wanted back because she would not budge on the price. She had gotten insurance money for the accidents that she had in the car but used it to buy an Exterra (which is what was really parked in the garage the whole time). At that point it was probably a 2-3K car to me (mostly for sentimental reasons).

She finally was able to sell it to Leigh (the cute girl that frenchee or Julio was going to take to the prom) and she really saved that car. Leigh took it to a local mechanic and got some things fixed on it. When she put the ad on here I had to call her to see about maybe buying the car back. I understood that she could not let it go less for what she paid for it (around 5K or so) but she asked me to come out and take it for one last drive. I met her in Oakland and we drove around the Berkeley hills (what a blast). The car ran almost as good as when I owned it but it still had the dents and scratches. The driveline felt tired and second gear synchros still scratched on quick shifts. I wished Leigh good luck on the sale and hoped that it would find a good home.

I guess this Karen person bought the car from Leigh and I am having a really hard time seeing where the 11K price tag can be justified. Unless she had the engine and tranny and rear end replaced or rebuilt. Even then it would be maybe an 8K car. The exterior and interior look unchanged. Maybe Karen put another 6-7K into the car for maintenance issues and feels like that plus the price she paid for the car get’s it to 11K. I don’t know, it just bothers me. Knowing the car the way I do, I would not pay anymore than 3K for it and that is generous because I have history with it. So buyer beware.

Gruzer:

Glad to hear from you

and get more information about the car. The oil filter on the car when I got her from Leigh was ten years old...where the differential meets the axel (spline?) was worn and needed to be replaced. I had to put in a gas tank that had to be fitted and rust taken out between the tank and the body. I pulled off the terrible window tint. There wasn't even a gear shift knob. The turn signal return didnt' work. The gas guage didn't work. It was leaking oil and gasoline and stunk up the garage. There were seals to be fixed. No, I didn't do the transmission and it's still alittle grumpy about 2 to 1 but doesn't need to be done. The engine says Pastel blu, the mechanic said an excellent paint job was done. I believe there was a non BMW radiator cap and all that including a new radiator I believe was put in. I don't remember all the things that were done but I have the receipts, she stayed with the mechanics for about a month and every time I drove her, some new noise would come up and another grand went in. I don['t expect to recover all I put into her, the $11,500 is low. Even still, I never got to the cosmetics of her and the fan I just discovered doesn't work. But she is safe now and sound I think. Leigh was sweet but she clearly did not have the $$$ this car badly needed. I am at work, folks. I am stopping

Gruzer:

Glad to hear from you

and get more information about the car. The oil filter on the car when I got her from Leigh was ten years old...where the differential meets the axel (spline?) was worn and needed to be replaced. I had to put in a gas tank that had to be fitted and rust taken out between the tank and the body. I pulled off the terrible window tint. There wasn't even a gear shift knob. The turn signal return didnt' work. The gas guage didn't work. It was leaking oil and gasoline and stunk up the garage. There were seals to be fixed. No, I didn't do the transmission and it's still alittle grumpy about 2 to 1 but doesn't need to be done. The engine says Pastel blu, the mechanic said an excellent paint job was done. I believe there was a non BMW radiator cap and all that including a new radiator I believe was put in. I don't remember all the things that were done but I have the receipts, she stayed with the mechanics for about a month and every time I drove her, some new noise would come up and another grand went in. I don['t expect to recover all I put into her, the $11,500 is low. Even still, I never got to the cosmetics of her and the fan I just discovered doesn't work. But she is safe now and sound I think. Leigh was sweet but she clearly did not have the $$$ this car badly needed. I am at work, folks. I am stopping

i've owned my 76 for 33 years... when i bought it, i had to do some maintenance to make it worthy of daily driving, since buying the car, i've probably spent $20k + making necessary repairs, oil changes, new radiator caps, spark plugs, etc but my heads not in the clouds...i know it's not worth what i've had to spend keeping it alive for the 33 years i've owned it

and don't forget all the tires and batteries i've bought during it's lifetime...that would drive the price up several thousand more

who wants to buy a good 76, stock engine, chrome bumpers, original drive train and a set of bitchin wide whites for $40 grand...but i have to warn you...i still have tint on several of the windows and a non original console....click the email esty button if you want to talk turkey

Karen, I'm sorry if my post came across as snobby or if you felt that i was attacking your integrity. I have never met you and you may be a great person, but based on some of the comments that you made in your earlier posts, I guess I took offense. You say that the oil filter was ten years old but I changed the oil my self 4 times because i did it every 3K miles and i only put close to 12K miles on it while i owned it. I sold the car about 8-9 years ago so unless I was the last one to ever change the oil before your mechanic did...I don't see how that even adds up to ten years.

You also posted that your mechanic told you that the previous owners mechanic's had ripped them off, well i hate to tell you this but I think you might be the one who has gotten ripped off by your mechanic. Let's say you paid 5-6K for the car. That means that you have put at least that much on top of the sale price to justify your low price of 11.5K. If all your mechanic did was replace the few things that you listed in your last post, then I would have to say that you definitly got ripped off. A shift nob, properly grounding the fuel gage, putting a new radiator (should not have needed it since it had a new 320i radiator when i owned it), and replacing a fuel tank and some rubber should not have cost 5-6K of parts and labor.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car and if the price was right, i would still go after it. It's got great personality and is a blast to drive. Hope you find a good home for it.

I was not directing anything negative towards you personally. Perhaps others who logged in thought I was just a ninny because I don't know this website and am not adept at pasting etc. I was grateful for the info I learned, both about how to post and the car istself. I do not have my bills, I do not take them to work with me. I do like driving her. I have been searching for the list I sent to Leigh as to how I spent so much on the car but abandoned it because none of the readers are interested truly. The date on the oil filter was ten years old. Whether Leigh changed it herself is a question for her. I did alot of bushing and bearings and seals. If you were truly intersted I would go home and look everything up and tell you but I believe your interest at this point is only academic. And I will have the info for prospective buyers. I do trust these mechanics, they are high end but they stand by their work. Maybe other 2002 fans do all their own work and therefore appalled by the asking price. When the spline was making a loud drum noise that was $880. Do you think that's too much for a safety issue? Regardless, she's not a $3000 car.

major service $487.50

drive belt loose, in conjunction w/tensioning alternator belt, replace worn alternator adjusting bracket & bushing extra to major service $50.

fuel hoses incorrect, with fuel filter replacement, remove and replace engine compartment fuel hoses

front brakes worn, rotors warped

brake fluid flush, RF brake caliper bleeder valve was loose, no longer leaking after flush

remove and replace hoses and fittings at brake master

LRbrake dragging, missing upper spring for shoes, install spring, still dragging, e cable levers binding on poor quality shoes, remove and replace shoes, replace overlarge drums, sticking e brake cables, remove and replace seized wheel cylinders

L tie rod worn, adjust steering box and align

shift tower mounts bad, transmission leaking at rear, center bearing descended, wiring to reverse light switch is poor quality, contains 4 wire nuts at cut wires, fabricate new harnes and solere into place, w/shift tower b cable non-OE, no hold down clamp

r license plate light broken, lubricate accelorator pedal and throttle linkges, remove dash cover, locking gas cap, popping noise from trunk (fuel tank deformed)

wipers inoperative, windshield washer system disconnected, T/S switch does not cancel, turn signal/hazard lights malfucntioning, remove tint from rear $7000

then fuel gauge erratic, oil drips...leaking seals $426

then replace fuel tank, temperature gauge not working $1500

then scraping noise from rear..remove and replace RR stub axle, flange, wheel bearings and seals $880

so far $9806

suggested work:stearing gearbox leaking @input, front strut bearing studs too long, e brake lever worn differential bearings noisy, play in brake and clutch pedal pivots

Okay, guys, go for it, tell me I got ripped off and I'm asking too much

Karen- Is your car for sale or do you want to sell it ???

Here is a mash link to compare prices and see what else is out there for comparative pricing. Tii's are rare and are more collectible. We are just trying to give you our experienced opinions regarding the value of these cars.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp&itm=bmw+1970s&loc=&fil=2002&ys=1970&ye=1976&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++

Most of us here are patient and are here to help.

To copy and paste. You will highlight ( Left click and drag), the code in the URL Top box below your tool bar. Bring curser into text message area. Then right click and click Paste. Should be able to transfer your link by doing that.

Good Luck

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152