• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weber carb/air cleaner

mikea

I mounted the weber carb w. the aftermarket air cleaner ( for now)

i hooked up the hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner.

but what about the small hose from the charcoal canister on the right front fender wall?

can i leave this off?

what does this canister even do?

an I just get rid of it?

this is 1974 2002 smog exempt

mikr

re the valve cover to air cleaner hose: I have thought about that.

engine is pretty fresh- not much comes out.

but

the charcoal canister has one hose from the tank, and the other went to the air cleaner

maybe that idea was that you burn the gas fumes?

what do most people do?

anyone eliminate this canister?

what do most people do?

the charcoal canister are rare on any of the cars...i'd speculate that they are no longer effective after all these years...i remove them from all my cars and plug all open vac ports on the carb

clean engine or not, you're going to have oil blow from the valve cover directly into the carb with the hose connected to the air cleaner...but a lot of guys still do it that way

i just opened the air cleaner after two days, and i have to agree; it's quite filthy

so I will take it off.

I have seen somewhere a can to collect this oil-I am not too keen on blowing it into the street, and ultimately san francisco bay.

any one know who offer these "oil drip cans" ?

and thanks, I will remove the canister; I don't think it does much at this point.

mike

I used a nice can I got on E-bay for like $30. Looks good and is not as large as the Summit plastic style. I mounted mine up where the battery used to be. Good for you not wanting to dump the shit on the street. Also don't forget to plug the hole in the air filter.

post-164-13667633145465_thumb.jpg

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

but

the charcoal canister has one hose from the tank, and the other went to the air cleaner

maybe that idea was that you burn the gas fumes?

what do most people do?

That's right! You could eliminate the canister itself, but try to keep that vent hooked up if possible. You will need to run it either to the air cleaner or even PCV if you want... Otherwise you either have the fumes from the tank just venting to the open air, or you cap it off and the fumes vent through the tiny cacks in your filler hose and into your trunk then through the back seat into the cabin!!!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)