• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - from anyone who has recovered front seats

worzella

My new front seat kits are in the mail from World Uph., so I started dismantling my front seats. After removing the back panel and 4 large screws holding the back to the bottom, I also successfully disconnected the cables running from the side levers to the bottom mechanism.

At this point the back was free of the bottom and I started looking at that big mechanism on each side of the back of the bottom seat. These two units are connected under the seat by a large round steel bar.

When I started looking at the seat covering, it became evident that the seat frames were covered first in the factory (mine is a '75 w/ original seats), and *then* the mechanisms were installed on each side. Although there is a C-clip, it looks like the units were inserted onto the rod end, the end was

hammered to secure the unit and then a small spot weld was added.

My question to anyone who has re-covered the front seat bottoms... how can the replacement vinyl be installed? Perhaps it has a slit in the replacement vinyl cover and it is intended to slide *behind* the unit and over the rod? I guess I won't know till they arrive next week.

Thanks for any advice you have.....

Randy

post-14769-13667632883526_thumb.jpg

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Randy

The part on the end with the lever and slot simple snaps into place So take a large blade screw driver and it will pop off. That lever inserts into a slotted end of the shaft that runs side to side. This ensures that both mechanisms operate simulatneously. Then take the circlip off and you can remove the mechanism

Piece of cake Unless of course a PO has messed with it or damaged it

HTH

Ha.. Ha.. thanks Mike... I love how these statements:

The part on the end with the lever and slot simply snaps into place So take a large blade screw driver and it will pop off.

end up turning into:

The part on the end with the lever and slot was machine inserted 35 years ago and has crusted over with that many years of dirt and rust. So take a large blade screw driver, crow bar, hammer, another screw driver, and beat on it for about a half hour and it will pop off, spraying parts all over your floor. Luckily I took a bunch of pictures so I know how to put the pieces back together.

But i got them off.. appreciate the expertise.

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

...spraying parts all over your floor.

This is why video should be used instead of stills. You can see WHERE all those parts went off to.

Then again, video in the garage may share more than you want to. What happens in the garage, stays in the garage.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes