• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 2002 Sleeper - M20B32, ITB, LSD

tinkwithanr

Hey Tink,

When you have a moment could you drop me a line? Got some ideas I want to run by you that could use some engineering eyes.

justin_evertatsbcglobaldotnet

Thanks!!

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

Sorry for the delay guys, I'll shoot you an email shortly.

Here's a shot from this past weekend. From Left to Right:

Layla - 1971 Honda CB350 - I picked her up about a month ago. Plans are to strip it down to the bare essentials and repaint. Then ride the hell out of her. She'll be styled in the 'cafe racer' theme.

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The project you've all (hopefully) come to know and love.

Vern - 1972 BMW 2002 - This little guy is actually my dad's. He picked it up this past winter after a vendor at work turned me onto an estate sale. Very original, some minimal rust issues that will most likely be fixed at some point. The plans for Vern are to keep him original and just enjoy his charm. Ironically Vern is exactly how Fiona looked from the factory (exterior color and trim level), minus the taillights.

IMAGE_B9069562-D491-488E-AED6-F7FC97F539BA.JPG

No progress to report on Fiona, but her tires came in. My initial thoughts, "this will be interesting.."

Kuhmo Ecsta XS "Extreme Performance Summer Tire" (whatever that means lol)

Front: 225-50-16

Rear: 265-45-16

In case you were wondering, there ain't gonna be no 'stretch' or 'stance' on this one. I would classify this as a meat lover's special if you know what I mean. For example, here is the new rear tire next to the stock rear tire on Vern:

IMAGE_24761883-B48A-4706-B46F-C14120E86DEE.JPG

And here it is 'fitted' into the rear wheel well:

IMAGE_57E91C7C-8AE8-44AC-B75B-D05D271287F0.JPG

As of right now I honestly don't know that I'm going to get these to fit. I may step down to 245/45's if these give me to much hassle. The good news is I got a hell of a deal on them, and the 911 guys love them so I shouldn't have an issue selling them to get a different set. That being said I have a few ideas up my sleeve and I wanna see where those take me first. I'd like to not have to worry about traction.

As always, thanks for looking!

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Not sure as of now. If I keep the turbo flares I will probably have to tub the inside of the wheel well, but time will tell. I have a few idea's, but not sure which route I'll take yet.

Don't know if this matters,

but I have a set of 16x8 et 11 and 16x7 et 11 BBS E50 sitting in my garage.

The only downside is that they are 5x108 and came from a Ferrari 308.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Don't know if this matters,

but I have a set of 16x8 et 11 and 16x7 et 11 BBS E50 sitting in my garage.

The only downside is that they are 5x108 and came from a Ferrari 308.

Man, if only those were 5x120. The E50 is the only set of wheels I like more than the Epsilon's I have now. I could never bring myself to drill them for a different bolt pattern or run spacers though.

I know exactly what you mean. It's too bad magnesium is a rather hard metal to work with too. You can't exactly fill in the existing holes and magnesium can't easily be welded without combusting.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

• 1 month later...
Made a lot of headway on fitting the wheels and tires today. Started by finishing up the roll center spacers, which let me mount the steering arms on the struts and bolt the front suspension back together.

All bolted together:

DSC_1133.jpg

In place:

DSC_1134.jpg

And of course I forgot to take picture of the front completely back together. I'll have to grab some tomorrow. That being said, with everything together I confirmed the fact that I'm going to need to get new inner barrels to clear the strut. I'm going to aim for a total width of 8" or 8.5" which should fit the 225 tires nicely. I may also add a small spacer (~5mm) to fill out the flare a bit better. But I'll wait to get the wheel put together first and see what it looks like.

For the rear I 'mounted' one of the 265's on the 9.5" wheel to test the fitment with the correct hubs on the swingarm. It's going to be a tight fit to say the least, not that I expected anything else.

DSC_1122.jpg

I still need to add the camber/toe adjustment tabs to the rear subframe, so that will help to dial out some of the excess camber you see in the pic.

DSC_1123.jpg

Not a lot of clearance on the inner fender, but enough.

DSC_1126.jpg

Straight on side shot. With the flares properly fit and the wheel tucked in it won't have any rubbing issues at full compression. 

DSC_1128.jpg

Here is the inner clearance with the trailing arm. Pretty much non existent. Considering the whole wheel will be moved in almost another inch when I'm done, the trailing arm will need some custom work done to it.

DSC_1129.jpg

Here you can see how the wheels fit with the flares as I got them. My plan is to get new barrels and lips for the rear, 1" narrower lip and 1" wider barrel. That should let it tuck into the flares nicely and have full travel with no clearance issues (once I do some more sheet metal work of course).

DSC_1132.jpg

Once I can confirm the wheel fitment and offsets I can work on making the rear coilover mounts, and then it can be a rolling chassis again!

As always, thanks for looking!

Thanks man, your slightly further along than I am lol.

I mean if you really wanted to see this get done you'd send me your front driver flare!!!

Snapped some pictures of the front tonight. First I mounted the front lip and center (since the barrel won't clear the strut tube). Overall the fit is decent with the flare. I could stand to come out another half inch or so, but unless I need to buy new lips I won't worry about it. I may also need to run a small spacer to clear the tire on the strut, so we'll see how that goes.

DSC_1145.jpg

Plenty of clearance between the rim and the flare:

DSC_1149.jpg

DSC_1150.jpg

Then I got really curious, so I seated the bead on outside lip to get an idea of how well it would 'fit'.

DSC_1152.jpg

DSC_1154.jpg

I still need to trim the stock fender for the flares, so I couldn't compress the suspension yet. That being said I really wish they offered this tire in a /45 profile as opposed to the /50 that I got. It's gonna be a pain to get these to tuck right and be able to have a halfway decent turning radius. I'm also very concerned about the clutch master cylinder that is on the driver side. I have a bad feeling that it and the tire are going to be fighting over the same real estate. But the next step is to trim the fender and see how bad the clearance is with the footwells.

• 1 month later...
Progress on Fiona has been slow. Right now I'm waiting on the new inner barrels for the front wheels to come in. Once I get those I can get the tires mounted and start checking the clearances for the front suspension. In the rear the next step is to take the subframe and trailing arms to the sand blaster (my cabinet isn't big enough) to clean them up so I can weld the camber/toe adjustments on and reinforce everything. 

I did get some new front tires in a lower profile. They seem to fit much better in the wheel wells.

DSC_1503.jpg

That being said I have been busy in the shop. A few weeks ago my dad and I installed this little beauty, a 2-post, 9000lb lift. I've only used it for a couple weeks and I already can't imagine going back. :

DSC_1491.jpg

At the same time we also got some pallet racking to help get all my extra parts and tools organized and off the floor. 

DSC_1492.jpg

I also made some more progress on the bike, stripped it down to the frame so I can get that and the swing arm sandblasted with Fiona's parts. Once that comes back I can make up the new rear shock mounts and work on forming the new seat. I'd like to have it back on the road to get some fall riding in.

DSC_1509.jpg

Then the latest distraction is this guy: 1969 Jeep CJ-5

DSC_1493.jpg

My sister and I bought it for my dad for father's day to replace the one he sold the day before my parents got married. Kind of a full circle thing. The body is in good shape overall but it needs the brakes and steering freshened up.

DSC_1494.jpg

The 304 V8 really makes this thing move. 

DSC_1495.jpg

Until next time.

DSC_1505.jpg

DSC_1504.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Haha, yeah. That chair was left over from a 'never-finished' go-cart project. Figured I might as well use it for something.

Only two pics, it's late and I'm tired. More in depth explanations will come in a day or two. 

Long story short:

265/45/16 tires on 9.5" wheels (28 offset)

E30 Rear Subframe (3.25 LSD)

Custom Control Arms - 3.25" Narrow from the diff flange to the wheel hub per side

Stock '02 Body w/Turbo Flare

Minor tubing of the wheel well

When it's all said and done the 265's will have 'extra' space so I can step up to 17" (275 or 295) if/when manufacturers stop making wide 16" tires. 

IMAGE_1.jpeg

Standard ride height will probably be a little lower than below:

IMAGE_2.jpeg

The new control arms also let me use the Z3 hubs as opposed to the e81 hubs, which space the hub flange out from the backing plate an extra 1.5". This gives room for the wilwood calipers to fit between the inner side of the wheel face and the rotor. 

More to come.