• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve guide advise

nbristow01

I had my head rebuilt a few months ago. The reason I did was because I had blue smoke after a long decel, then gas it. The seals were shot in it. So the guys rebuild the head, stick in a new 284 cam, new seals ..everything else was reused, valves, rockers etc.

They told me they did not replace the guides because they were within spec? Well this was an original head on this car and it had 80k miles on it.

Do you guys think it is possible that these guides were still good? I have read that these cars wear guides more quickly than many other types of cars.

I install the rebuilt head and I still have the same blue smoke after a long decel when i gas it

Shold I just rebuild this head again? I have all new parts for an entire head rebuild but hate wastng parts and money if it is not needed

Thanks=

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

YES THE GUIDES WEAR

with worn guides, the valve stem can over work

a new seal, and cause it to leak, put more side stress

over time making the seal fail.

find a machine shop that knows about guides,

proper replacement technique, and resizing

after installation - testing the side play of the

valve stem - - -

now to the bottom end of the motor................. ?

got cylinder leak test of blow-by past cylinder

and rings ? rebuilding a head sometimes leads

to more pressure by-passing a worn cylinder-piston-rings

...... and more reading here-=> http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar696.htm

and here -==>> http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2166/valve_guide_reconditioning.aspx

TifToGif(1).gif

....and this is a good one ....>>>> http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20LS%20Links%20Page/LS%20Engine%20Overhaul/Valve%20Guide%20Reaming-Valve%20and%20Seat%20Grinding.htm

and the other details you want right when paying for a head 'overhaul'

TifToGif(6).gifTifToGif(5).gifTifToGif(2).gif

TifToGif.gif

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

the biggest problem is the old valve stem seals. the old style sucked. they just didnt last. later style seals are way better, but you gotta change the guides in order to use the later seals, unless this has already been done. iirc, the old seals were dark brown or black, the later seals are green or red

Ken Inn

the valve stem. When you drive them out, it makes the ID of the guide that much larger and the fit even worse.

Find a new machine shop, they either don't know, or don't care about doing a good job

John N

Thats kind of how I felt when I left with the "rebuilt" head..just a lack of care

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

It's possible that the guides were within spec,

if the 80k motor wasn't revved all that high.

But agreed, the older seals weren't all that great.

I WOULD leak the entire motor before I went any further-

oil can be drawn up around tired rings just as easily

as down through valve guides...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL