• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii Running Rich

I have a 72 tii that is running rich. My mechanic leaned it out as much as he could via the valve at the intake. He did not adjust the injection pump at all but noted the warm up bulb was not functioning. The car starts great cold but requires a few tries when it's warm. I assume it is injecting via the cold start valve even when it's warm since the cold start bulb is not functioning (probably flooding it?). The car runs great but is fumey from behind. Any suggestions on leaning it out via the injection pump? Could the warm up bulb be the problem? Thanks for your advice in advance.

1960 Austin Healey Sprite | 1974 Ford Bronco | 1988 Porsche 911 | 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser | 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands on Order | In Search of a BMW 2002 

Thanks Richard. I am not sure why my mechanic referred to it as a bulb. I have been reading through the tii registry newsletters from 1984-1996 and several discuss adjustment of the warm air unit that you mention. One article even mentions adding a switch to cut off the cold start valve after the initial start. I am not sure if that will help to lean it out on the road though. I 'll keep reading and taking the good advice of faq members.

1960 Austin Healey Sprite | 1974 Ford Bronco | 1988 Porsche 911 | 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser | 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands on Order | In Search of a BMW 2002 

Go to the Tii registry, The knowledge base there has the factory video to set up the pump and linkage correctly. The fuel mixture is controlled in the throttle body, there is no way to alter the fuel delivery from the pump. Your mechanic needs an exhaust gas analyzer to set the fuel mixture correctly, They are available on ebay ( Heathkit about 150.00 )

Just to clarify ONLY the fuel mixture at IDLE and idle speed is controlled in the throttle body aka "tuna can" .

Fuel/air mixture at run and WOT is controlled BELOW the throttle body.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5