1976 Verona Red BMW 2002 with 5-Speed
This 1976 BMW 2002 was bought new at Santa Cruz Motors as indicated in its original service booklet. I purchased it as a summer project from a retired pediatric dentist in California who I really enjoyed getting to know and is now a friend of mine. He purchased the car with 61,251 original miles according to the California title and service records. The odometer stopped during his ownership at 61,325 miles. He estimates 700-800 miles were added in his 8 years of light use. Condition of the car definitely supports low mileage. A replacement engine from a 74 2002 with an 81 e12 head was installed at some point based on date stamps. I would assume both were done in 81 but could only speculate on cause. The engine runs better than any stock example I have owned. I believe I am the fourth owner based on included records.
Finished in Verona red, some of the car appears to have original paint. Portions have been resprayed to address fading and scratches according to the second owner. The paint is nice driver quality. Floors, frame rails, rockers, shock towers and spare tire well are all in excellent rust free condition as you would expect from a California car. Aluminum belt line trim, lower rubber trim and bumpers show very well. Glass is nice with only a tiny area of delamination at lower left corner of windshield.
The interior is original and has been well maintained. Seats, carpet and headliner are in great shape with no holes or tears. Dash has some cracks from the California sun. A DIN type radio is installed with front and rear speakers. Windows roll up and down easily without binding or misalignment. Sunroof operates smoothly. A new set of esty speckled floor mats compliment the interior.
When I received the car it was adjusted to run lean for California smog which it passed routinely. I have since carefully removed the smog equipment but kept all components in case a future owner would like to reinstall them. I completed other work to significantly improve the the car’s performance. Everything below was done less than 100 miles ago.
• New Weber 38 DGES electric choke carburetor with soft lines and fuel filter
• New Pertronix electronic ignition
• New Bosch Platinum spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor
• New valve cover gasket
• New Ireland Engineering silicone hose and clamp set, thermostat and coolant
• Tii exhaust manifold with new Ansa OE style center resonator, rear muffler and all mounting hardware
• New H&R sport springs with new Bilstein B6 shocks and struts
• New Meyle strut mounts
• Lightly used Ireland Engineering front and rear 22mm sway bars bought off FAQ
• New brake master cylinder, rotors, pads, drums, shoes, tii wheel cylinders, soft brake lines and emergency brake cables
• New clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and stainless steel line
• New Sachs clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing with resurfaced flywheel
• Used e21 Getrag 245 5-speed with preferred 3-bolt output flange, new seals, shifter bushings and Redline MTL synthetic transmission fluid
• New Bayern Mesh 15x7 wheels with new Hankook Ventus 195/50/15 tires
• Oil change with Valvoline VR-1 20W50 and new Mann filter
The car starts easily, idles smoothly, pulls well and handles great. The suspension and other modifications really transformed it. There is no smoke or odd noises from the drivetrain. It could be reliably driven daily or reserved for more spirited weekend outings. I welcome local inspection and a test drive. The car is kept in my climate controlled garage in Burlington, NC. I am asking $21,000 based on condition and improvements. The Italian turn signals are not included. I have the original US lenses that will be installed prior to sale. If there’s a preference for the original steel wheels over the Beyern Mesh, I am willing to reduce price. Tires are like new on the steel wheels as well. Please PM for more information and photos.