• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

painting plastic (74-76) grilles

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Did a search but didn't find anything on this. I have a pretty decent set of 74 grilles, nothing broken or cracked, just a little weathered/faded. Has anyone used rattle can paint (for plastic) to clean their grilles up. Wondering how they look. If you have a photo post it up. tx

i used rattle-can flat black on the black partitions on my early grill,

the paint wasn't anything special, just enamel flat back. the car hasn't seen any weather yet, but it looks brand new. if your trying to freshen up the grill that's a viable way to go.

-wes

before

100_0252.jpg

after

100_0304.jpg

Do not use spray paint under any circumstances. Get dawn yes only dawn advanced power soap. (dishwater soap) Use a tooth brush and abrasive sponge to clean thoroughly. Follow up with soft scrub using tooth brush and sponge to clean oxidation off. Let dry and use F21 restorer. Armorall is overrated. And yes I detail old cars.Paint will fade and crack within months...

Yes Armor All is over-rated, and it has silicone in it. Bad for vinyl. My point was that everyone knows what it is. Not everyone knows what F21 is.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

I've tried BOTH the repainting and re-conditioning with protectant methods.

I've had good success using SEM Trim Paint - in addition to Dubois' surface prep recommendations, I've used "plastic" adhesion promoters such as "Bulldog" to ensure good paint adhesion.

Meguiar's new Ultimate Protectant is very good at reconditioning weathered plastic trim. I haven't used F21 (Turtle Wax?) and have had very mixed results with Armor All.

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is