• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chevron B8 Racing Pistons... Are they worth getting?

I'd pass, unless you just want to collect them on the shelf as an example of history.

Three pistons, when the fourth is not likely available, is any thing to build a project around.

And truly, I would never use these even if you could get all four cheap.

There's a very good reason no modern piston looks anything like those !

The dome design is huge & heavy, with some real ugly valve pockets. This was done to raise compression ratio, but then you have to enlarge the combustion chamber so much, you give a lot of CR back. Flow across that shape, with those sharp & deep valve reliefs is far from optimal.

And look at the thin cast material that remains at the edge where the valve reliefs were cut, I can see that weak sharp point being a problem with dissipating heat & leads to breaking out the ring land.

In general, there is not much to recommend on going backwards to vintage pistons. Modern shapes, materials, narrower & lighter ring types are a lot better than that old stuff.

Guest Anonymous

Mahle does not have a 4th available.. hasn't for years... the ring package is also unknown and may not be available as well.