• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction And Diy Repair Shop

wmcwhorter

Hello Everyone,

I never thought I would own an 02 but after deciding I no longer wanted to make a monthly car payment and pay the hefty insurance that comes with a new vehicle; I bit the bullet and bought a 1972 Euro Spec Tii from an owner down south in the Carolinas for 10k in early September 2013. Well the car required some work to get it to pass VA safety inspection for use as a daily driver. Replaced the exhaust, had a 5 speed shifting issue where it would not get into second gear repaired and of course needed a brand new alternator. Would have been nice to have a lift, etc. Total cost of repairs was close to 2k. All while dealing with a shop manager who was a complete prick. Dude just cause your shop specializes only on BMWs and Porsches doesnt make you any better than the parts guy at Advanced Auto Parts....

So not even a month and a half on the road, I get into a front end collison. Some lady decided at the last minute to run a left turn arrow......long story short. Its going to cost me more money and time sourcing for parts and time fixing the damage. New nose, left fender, Kamei air dam, new headlight glass, repair the crease in the left front section and new left front grill.

I'm damned if I am gonna shell out more money for someone else to fix and mod my car.  I have taken the front apart and I am doing the work myself. Total cost is just for parts $460. Already repair the Kamei air dam, 30$ in sluppies. Haven't bought the nose yet; but I plan to also spray the entire car.

All I wanted was a cool daily driver in which to make some small upgrades here and there; spending the money I spent on repairs towards an s14 swap. Grrrr!!!!

Anyways, today I will be checking on potential warehouse/garage spaces.

Over the last month I have working on a business plan for a DIY Auto/moto repair and motorcycle storage shop. Not just a DIY shop but a place were auto/motorcycle enthusiasts alike can take workshops for welding, general repair, etc.....work on projects, oil changes, minor, to engine swaps. Fabrication fiberglass and carbon fiber parts. In addition a small retail shop!!!

Anyone interested in such a place to work on there cars???

post-45679-0-81936000-1387641770_thumb.j

post-45679-0-80552800-1387641775_thumb.j

Welcome to the addiction/love affair/cult!

There is a larger-than-average group of 2002 owners in the DC/NoVA/MD area, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting advice and/or parts. Let us know what you need and keep us updated on the car.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

there are long threads with debates over M10/M42/M44/M20/S14 that should provide you lots of entertainment.

as an S14 owner, don't do it.  the engines are getting scarce and incredibly expensive as E30 M3 owners start to horde them.  parts are expensive.  no tq down low.  M20 or more modern M42/44 much better choice for a 2002.  I have an S14 because my car spends 90% of its time on a race track at 6000-7500rpm where the engine shines.  having driven an M20 powered 2002, that is what i would do for a sporty use 2002.  much more usable power in the normal driving range.  for daily driven car, i would do the M42/44 like Clay did.

2xM3

I know the value for a Tii is getting up there especially if its original condition. I have read a majority of the threads on swaps that take little to no mods to the existing frame and tranny tunnel of the car. Look I have been spoiled by horsepower over the years and well I wanty wanty.

Had the following cars, and no I was never a spoiled kid, just a kid that did have a lot growing up.

- 92 Camaro RS

- 91 CRX

- 2002 Audi A4

- 2005 Audi S4

- 2006 Mitsu EVO 9

- 2010 VW GTI

This is my first BMW ever....I want a little more horsepower. Does it change the car if I was to crate the Tii engine in it. Save it for when I sale?

once a car is swapped, it is probably never going back...no matter what the future intent is.  it is just too much work.  plus, all swaps require some level of modification to chassis, electrical system, fuel delivery, cooling, instruments, driveline, etc.  some swaps may be less complicated than others to do, but they are all very difficult to undo.  and that is just the engine mods...no counting and needed brake or suspension work.

it is your car though....make it whatever you want it to be!!!  just realize it will never be an S4, EVO or GTI...  i have put a completely silly amount of effort and money into making my 2002 capable of keeping up with (and passing...) those cars, porsche's and M3's on a race track......but that is me.  i have a racing problem.  :ph34r:

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

once a car is swapped, it is probably never going back...no matter what the future intent is.  it is just too much work.  plus, all swaps require some level of modification to chassis, electrical system, fuel delivery, cooling, instruments, driveline, etc.  some swaps may be less complicated than others to do, but they are all very difficult to undo.  and that is just the engine mods...no counting and needed brake or suspension work.

it is your car though....make it whatever you want it to be!!!  just realize it will never be an S4, EVO or GTI...  i have put a completely silly amount of effort and money into making my 2002 capable of keeping up with (and passing...) those cars, porsche's and M3's on a race track......but that is me.  i have a racing problem.  :ph34r:

I get what you're saying....I am trying very hard not to throw any motor in it other than a BMW motor in it. I will put it this way I love the way this car looks a big reason I bought one. But I want a little more umph!!! HP wise.

I looked into adding a turbo, to the existing m10. Stroking it, whatever. Got quotes from Metric and Korman and the prices are crazy up there on m10 and even from those shops for an M42 with turbo. Korman says I could not get 200whp from an M42, yet Metric says you can. 

you are not talking about adding a "little" umph...you are talking about more than doubling the stock crank hp.  that is a massive increase.  the car only weighs 2200lbs...you don't need that much more to make it fun.  200whp would be north of 240 crank hp.  not realistic for an M42, M44, or M20.  

2xM3

Im not doing this anytime soon. I want to enjoy my car as is for now.....

+1   I suggest you enjoy it as is and maybe later we can convince you to look at a regular 2002 for all your modifications (or another BMW).  Do you know if your tii was originally black? Back when I was first looking at tii's, there was a European one for sale by 2002AD.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

+1   I suggest you enjoy it as is and maybe later we can convince you to look at a regular 2002 for all your modifications (or another BMW).  Do you know if your tii was originally black? Back when I was first looking at tii's, there was a European one for sale by 2002AD.  

My car was originally Golf yellow, I found this out after my fender bender. She is in fact a 2002AD car and a California car. According to the NC owner I bought it off of she was a trade from Cali. She is still posted on 2002AD; the ad is about mid way through the AD page, then another ad from 2009. I bought her in August 2013 and paid a bit more than the listing price.

1972 2002tii--SOLD 7/13

Schwarz/black, 5-speed, A/C, rebuilt engine, restored interior; new mouldings, grilles, flat turn signals,

headlights, radiator, many other parts. Choice of Alpina wheels or originals, fr spoiler or

original bumper. $9,000 (click on photo for another).

1972 Euro 2002tii--SOLD 3/30/09

Schwartz/black, Euro-version, 4-speed, A/C, only 65,000 original miles, repainted, trim replaced, engine

rebuilt, Campagnolo wheels. Great condition; striking color. $18,000. (click on photo for another)

VIN is 2701428 - not sure when she was repainted/sprayed seems like she was done in 2009. Paint was good up until now. The roof paint is fading and now that she is apart some what I can take care of the small rust spots. Some outward dings, etc. All and all she has no rust underneath......

That is the same one that I was looking at (sold in 2009). Way too much money for me.  You should know that 2002AD does consignment sales for owners.  I found that out when I was looking at some of their cars during a trip to SFO.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors