• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Benefit of Historical Licence Plate?

cxzsaq

No benefit here in OK. In fact....it actually costs more, because you have to tag the car like normal, then pay for a yearly sticker for the windshield. I think the sticker is about $15 (I can never remember, I just send the check) It's pretty uncommon. In fact....I've had to explain it twice.....to police officers. :) Only one was an actual ticket. The other was Barney Fife at a gas station in eastern OK....on the way to a Hot Springs, AR gathering. You still have to carry the current tag, but the sticker allows it to not be displayed.

The benefit is that it looks pretty sweet, and in '76, OK had Bi-Centennial tags, so that's kind of cool riding on the back. :)

bc

Byron

76 02 inka

04 r1150r

Here's the NYS FAQ page for historical and vintage plates.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/cpl8faqs.htm

Historical plates (HX-series) have use restrictions, require special insurance, etc. Vintage plates (genuine old plates from the vehicle's model year) have different requirements.

I don't bother with HX plates. I'd consider vintage plates if I stumbled across a decent set from the right year.

An interesting anecdote: An antique car club friend who was involved in getting the state to issue the historical plates told me that the intent was for the plates to be "HV" for "historical vehicle", but the person who submitted the paperwork did not write the V neatly, and the state employee who processed it thought it said X, so due to a clerical error all NYS historical plates say HX. Your NYS government dollars at work.

-Karl

'73 '02 

We have 2 tag choices, black w/ white letters (can't be personalized) or orangish-yellow w/ dark blue letters (can be personalized).

but, iirc, the two tags have different restrictions. black is limited use, no inspections. yellow means something else. so it is not just a color choice.

2xM3

...but, iirc, the two tags have different restrictions. black is limited use, no inspections. yellow means something else. so it is not just a color choice.

Marshall, it was for me! The gals at DMV made no distinction. Guess I'll check back with them.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif