• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid freaking horn won't blow!

flipper

on my new old 76 02 with a momo wheel, the horn won't blow. i hooked the horn up directly to the battery and it did it's thing, so the horn isn't bad. i used an ohm meter on the connection to the button on the momo and it showed as being good. i'm pretty sure the relay is good, since the other things connected to it (turn signals??) are good.

so that leaves the wire, doesn't it -- a broken connection somewhere? well, the PO never saw a piece of colorful electrical tape he didn't like. all the wires for the entire car are covered in gobs of it. taking it off the likely run of wire is probably going to cause troubles w/ every other damn electrical component. so ... what can i do?

thoughts, anyone?

(next up: the g.d. handbrake!)

Either try tracking it down through your rainbow harness or just make a whole new run of wire through a seperate relay that you can get at any auto parts store...

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)

You have three relays on the driver's-side fender, right above the battery, on the ' 76. One is for the high beams, one for the low beams, and one for the horn. Switch them around and you'll find out if the horn relay is bad. Sherman Martinez, on this board, said just a day or two ago, that he has the original, round relays for sale. Scroll down and find the thread.

Bob Napier

I'm having the same problem on a 76 also. (I'm on three tasks right now.) Can't find ground from chassis to the steering column. Looked for the braided wire down at the steering guibo (cd mentioned some have it) but there is none.

My horn works fine if I run a ground wire to the wire that connects to the backside of the contact ring - it honks. When I depress the button, I have continuity between the steering wheel hub (metal) and the spring loaded pin. So I have everything working correctly, but no ground to the stock... so no honk.

Where does ground connect to the stock???

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have spent so much time trying to figure out why... new horns, new switch on steering wheel... relay fine. If I connected ground straight to the horn switch, I got HONK. No ground at the steering wheel hub on it's own though.

1) I do not have a braided strap that jumps around the guibo. After looking at it today, I started wondering how ground would travel through the steering box anyway, if I did have the braided wire. I can't get to that that area easily, so I went back inside the car and traced ground connections for the 100th time.

2) The cast block that holds the column in place, which also houses the key switch, has ground. hmmm but 3" north to the cast block that holds the wiper switch and signal switch/levers did not have ground.

3) The steering wheel hub has continuity between itself and the cast block holding the wiper & signal switches... but does not have a chassis ground connection, which you need to make the HORN HONK.

4) I made a 10" piece of wire with metal eyelets on either end. Connected one end to the cast block that holds the wiper & signal switches, and the other end I ran straight to chassis ground. There just happens to be two nice little screws, just above the block that houses the key switch, that screw into chassis metal. So that's where I connected the other end.

5) Steering wheel Hub now has ground, HORN HONKS!

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg