• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much should it cost to have a shop replace my floors?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need both front floors to be replaced, going up onto the transmission tunnel on one side, and in the corner on both sides, and around the pedal box. It's beyond me to do, so I need to have a shop do it but don't know what is reasonable. I have one typically inexpensive place in mind that actually does good work too. Anyone paid to have this done? Cost? I don't know if it matters, but I'm in Sonoma County California. Thanks anybody.

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I'm in Sonoma County too! And I'm in the middle of repairing my floors. I've got the passenger's footwell all cut out, and I'm waiting on a panel flanger tool. Meanwhile I'm welding up trim holes. I've got to replace the back half of the driver's frame rail, and patch the floor a bit there too.

Where are you in Sonoma County? If you're close by I'd like to check out the car.

Just a wild guess, I'd expect to pay $750 to $1500 for a floor replacement. If you use new parts, I think they run close to $500 by themselves. I bought used floor sections from RobS for about $100, I think. You might be able to save money by doing a lot of the prep work yourself--strip out carpet and interior panels, remove sound proofing, clean everything up, etc.

If I were you I'd go to Rick Haner's shop, Haner Haus, on Santa Rosa Avenue for the estimate. He's probably got more experience with 2002's than anyone else in the county, a real member of the community.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I'm in Healdsburg, out of town. The car is currently non-op so I don't think it would be practical to come look at, but I hope to have it going soon-ish and would be happy to meet somewhere and check out each others cars. I'm not planning on using stock floor pans or anything, just sheet metal. I need to arrange it with that shop I mentioned before, to have them come give me an estimate. I hope it's not that much! Have to get it done though. I'll let you know when I get it going, and the price of the floors too if you want.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, let me know when it's on the road. Mine's off the road right now as well. Trouble with using plain sheet metal is that the cost of forming the floor reasonably well usually is greater than buying preformed parts. Also if your floor is that rusty, odds are your frame rails are rotted as well. The frame rail definitely must be fitted decently, and again it will generally cost more to have someone bang them out than to buy replacements.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Damn, yeah, I'll see what they say- I might have to get a job hehe. It's not rusty over the rails really though, water pooled inside for 7+ years or so and rusted from the inside out all along where the insulation weird black stuff ended, but not under it much; as well as coolant leaking down I think. We'll see.