• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

headlights/tail lights, dash lights & fuses

Roarke00

Hi Everybody,

I have a '74 2002. It seems that my headlights, some tail lights and my dash lights are controlled by the fuses under the hood.

My first question is, is this normal or did a previous owner do some strange re-routing of wires, etc?

Any bump in the road can make my (particularly drivers side) head light go out. Same goes for tails and dash. So my second question is, if this fuse thing IS normal, what do you do to address the problem of lights going in and out?

3rd, if it ISN'T normal for these (particularly head lights) to be so fuse dependent, how do I address that issue?

Thanks very much,

Dino

If all those items are affected at the same time, check the main lead at the positve terminal of the battery. It may be loose or have a bad connection. There's also a common ground by the relays on the driver side fender well. Check that and make sure theres good contact there and the bolt is tight.

Lastly, clean all the terminals with a brass wire brush at the fuse block and put new fuses in. Do this with the negative terminal on the battery disconnected of course.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Yes, it is normal and correct to have all your lights going thru fuses in the fuse block on top of the driver's side fender. Might want to order an underhood fuse chart from someone like Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent (bimmerdoc.com) - talk to Jeff. They are inexpensive and self stick to the underside of the hood in the upper left hand corner with the hood up. You'll find it invaluable.

Bob Napier

jeff@bimmerdoc.com

or, you can find them here also:

tilux@aol.com