• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to buy! What's it worth. (PICS)

viali8

Viali, your very welcome! Hope you have a better Heads-up now on what to focus on seeing your looking at east coast cars.

Ray, had me laughing man! Thou I had to look up "YMMV" Thanks for the laugh!

While Fishhead expressed concern at the right rear rocker panel, I must admit I had viewed the photos about 4 times, but it wasn't until this morning that I realized you could Zoom in!!! Duh!

Well anyway under Zoom, while checking out the rocker, There is moss growing in/out of it!!!!!!!!! Not a good sign!

Tonyro, too bad you were late to the party, maybe you could have given him an earlier Heads-up on seller.

I dunno anything on the Red car but it seems to have been listed for a while? Does look to be a much better, MUCH SAFER starting point!

While they are hard to see with the springs in the way make sure from now on that you also check the front strut housings above the spring cup!

Last Sept. I went through my Giesella's front end and even on the car (Nov.86) rust had taken hold to the point that there was windows into the strut cartridge! It turned into just rust and cracks.

Ended up ordering used housings from a wrecker in Cal. and OMG! Could not believe the difference! They were like brand new!

The reason I brought up the housing as something also to look at is because 4-5 years ago they were very safe/solid, but once the rust set in they went down hill fast!

Seeing you are looking for an older car/Bmw just be aware of that.

By all means do what you did in this thread on the next one you find.

Jon

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

87 535IS, my beloved ''Giesella" that I've had for 16.5+ years.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,336340/

Crossposting.

Viali, there ya go. bring it in from Cali. I've got some big bumpers if you wanna toss those on.

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,336340/

Crossposting.

Viali, there ya go. bring it in from Cali. I've got some big bumpers if you wanna toss those on.

-Charlie

Thanks! I saw that. Anyone have any experience shipping a car from california to Pa. What would the cost be?

I really like this one...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,336344/

Thanks

Matt

Viali, your very welcome! Hope you have a better Heads-up now on what to focus on seeing your looking at east coast cars.

Ray, had me laughing man! Thou I had to look up "YMMV" Thanks for the laugh!

While Fishhead expressed concern at the right rear rocker panel, I must admit I had viewed the photos about 4 times, but it wasn't until this morning that I realized you could Zoom in!!! Duh!

Well anyway under Zoom, while checking out the rocker, There is moss growing in/out of it!!!!!!!!! Not a good sign!

Tonyro, too bad you were late to the party, maybe you could have given him an earlier Heads-up on seller.

I dunno anything on the Red car but it seems to have been listed for a while? Does look to be a much better, MUCH SAFER starting point!

While they are hard to see with the springs in the way make sure from now on that you also check the front strut housings above the spring cup!

Last Sept. I went through my Giesella's front end and even on the car (Nov.86) rust had taken hold to the point that there was windows into the strut cartridge! It turned into just rust and cracks.

Ended up ordering used housings from a wrecker in Cal. and OMG! Could not believe the difference! They were like brand new!

The reason I brought up the housing as something also to look at is because 4-5 years ago they were very safe/solid, but once the rust set in they went down hill fast!

Seeing you are looking for an older car/Bmw just be aware of that.

By all means do what you did in this thread on the next one you find.

Jon

Jon,

Had the same thing happen when i bought my e30 about 5 yrs ago. I went to replace my struts and the threaded collar on the strut housing was FUBAR. I ordered two strut housing from bavarian autosport in cali...what difference!

Thanks again for your time and effort

Matt

It is so hard to be objective because the "I WANT" impulse takes over. For those of us not in Cali, there are far fewer of these cars to see, evaluate, and choose from, and so when one pops up on the radar screen, it becomes a crime of opportunity. Although the adage "buy the nicest cleanest car you can afford" is always true, that applies more to us older guys who have a decent income. To the young'ns, if all they have is $1500, all they can afford is $1500, regardless of the fact that a $4500 car makes more sense because it would cost way more than three grand to turn the $1500 car into the $4500 car.

The best that you as a first-time potential buyer can do is to think carefully about what the car is for, and be brutally unflinchingly objective so you can override the "I WANT" impulse and prepared to walk away from cars that are more trouble than they're worth.

I agree with what another poster had said -- that slightly ratty cars have a certain honest appeal. And they're approachable, whereas a young cash-strapped newbie has about as much chance of landing that gorgeous Golf posted with the can of Nu-Finish as he does bedding Megan Fox. If you go into them with your eyes open and keep your promises to yourself (ie I will NOT try to turn this into something it isn't), ratty cars can be great fun.

But that having been said... you'd probably be better off finding a car that's been driven regularly and where the owner is forthcoming than one from a yard where the owner is less than candid.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

It is so hard to be objective because the "I WANT" impulse takes over. For those of us not in Cali, there are far fewer of these cars to see, evaluate, and choose from, and so when one pops up on the radar screen, it becomes a crime of opportunity. Although the adage "buy the nicest cleanest car you can afford" is always true, that applies more to us older guys who have a decent income. To the young'ns, if all they have is $1500, all they can afford is $1500, regardless of the fact that a $4500 car makes more sense because it would cost way more than three grand to turn the $1500 car into the $4500 car.

The best that you as a first-time potential buyer can do is to think carefully about what the car is for, and be brutally unflinchingly objective so you can override the "I WANT" impulse and prepared to walk away from cars that are more trouble than they're worth.

I agree with what another poster had said -- that slightly ratty cars have a certain honest appeal. And they're approachable, whereas a young cash-strapped newbie has about as much chance of landing that gorgeous Golf posted with the can of Nu-Finish as he does bedding Megan Fox. If you go into them with your eyes open and keep your promises to yourself (ie I will NOT try to turn this into something it isn't), ratty cars can be great fun.

But that having been said... you'd probably be better off finding a car that's been driven regularly and where the owner is forthcoming than one from a yard where the owner is less than candid.

--Rob

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly how i was feeling. I saw the car and it looked ok and i thought it was a good find but the more i started reading about what to look for the more it seemed like not a good idea.

Like i said before. I am not looking for a show car just something for me to daily drive during the summer and maybe later down the road some mods (love e30's so maybe an M20 swap). It would be stored during the winter months. I think it would be wise to wait for something else to come along. Being 31 and back in school sucks...

I wish i had the time to fly out to cali. and drive something back. A car for 2500 in cali is so much nicer than a 2500 norhteast car.

Matt