• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIXED !!! Tii starting problem - need help

BMWonly

Subject to my crusty memory, the owner's manual starting procedure for a tii is something like this: Don't touch the throttle. Turn the key to start, and hold it there until the engine starts. After it starts to fire, keep cranking. If it doesn't fire smoothly after a second or two, press the throttle a small amount.

It sounds like your engine is flooded under the hard-start conditions. Next time you are in those conditions, try this: press the throttle all the way and hold it there. Turn the key to start, and hold it for 10-15 seconds. Keep holding the throttle down no matter what. Crank again if necessary. If it starts better this way, flooding is at least part of the problem.

Getting better: After the car was sitting for 1 1/2 hours today, I tried starting it with full throttle, and - although it took a few seconds longer than cool or hot - car started much easier on the first attempt. I could live with that, but will still check everything out over the weekend.

Thanks for the great advice.

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

• 7 months later...

I am happy to report that I have found what was wrong with my tii:

I was having issues starting the engine when it was semi warm. In a cold month this meant after sitting for 1-2 hours, in summer more like 1.5-4 hours - which happens a lot.

After confirming that cold start valve, thermo time switch and the timer box are working fine, I found that the warm-up regulator was not adjusted correctly. Plunger with the big washer was sticking out too much, releasing the enrichment lever too early. So it was running too lean during the warm-up phase - and made starting during the cool down phase almost impossible.

Made my adjustment a few days ago (lowering the washer), and checked several times now. Car starts almost immediately no matter what. I am a happy camper....

Hope this helps someone. Thanks to everyone here, and to Mr. McCartney !!!

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

I am happy to report that I have found what was wrong with my tii:

I was having issues starting the engine when it was semi warm. In a cold month this meant after sitting for 1-2 hours, in summer more like 1.5-4 hours - which happens a lot.

After confirming that cold start valve, thermo time switch and the timer box are working fine, I found that the warm-up regulator was not adjusted correctly. Plunger with the big washer was sticking out too much, releasing the enrichment lever too early. So it was running too lean during the warm-up phase - and made starting during the cool down phase almost impossible.

Made my adjustment a few days ago (lowering the washer), and checked several times now. Car starts almost immediately no matter what. I am a happy camper....

Hope this helps someone. Thanks to everyone here, and to Mr. McCartney !!!

Dieter

Congratulations. I have been trying to fine tune my car and found out the throttle cam inside the throttle body housing was rotated so that the butterfly was opening too early, causing a lean condition. I'm still working on the warm-up regulator adjustments.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 10 years later...

Old thread but super helpful to me!!!  My '72 tii was also not starting after it had cooled down a bit after running just fine. Went through ignition and entire cold start circuit only to discover an incorrectly adjusted WUR was the culprit (coolie hat was adjusted too high causing overly lean condition as engine cooled) .  Fires right up now whenever!  I sure appreciate those who participate in this forum.

• Like 1