• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seattle to Park City for Sundance... Wise?

JackBennett

Sorry I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this is redundant.

Congrats first of all.

I wouldn't do it in my '02. I drive to SLC every other winter. Sometimes it's no biggie but one year there was a eighteen inches of snow from Ogden to Boise on the way home. The semis were making huge ruts in the snow. The only thing worse than trying to pass them was being stuck behind them.

Anyway, it's not a terrible drive and I think we've done it in about 14 hours in good conditions from Marysville. But the weather is a crap-shoot.

Just have someone follow you in a 4WD vehicle. That way you can enjoy the epic journey in your classic car without having to worry about the epic disasters that could come with it!

Along with that:

Snow Tires - - - Good Idea

Sand Bags - - - Good Idea

Windshield Washer Fluid - - - Good Idea

Blanket - - - Good Idea

Lassie - - - Great Idea!

However you decide, congrats on your accomplishment and good luck at Sundance!

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

The blue mountains in eastern oregon are somewhat unpredictable. I've seen the roads closed for 24-48 hrs on I-84 there in the winter. Been through that twice now! I did at one time drive my older E12 1979 5 series across country several times round trip in December and January (5,000 mile round trips many times in -25 F weather and mountains of snow). I never once got stuck but I went prepared too.

1) You must have studdless or studded snows

2) if running studdless, a set of cable chains

3) extra antifreeze and oil

4) carry a full set of tools and good jack

5) bring chocolate bars and a blanket in case you have to spend the night in the car (if visabilty or weather does not let you proceed and you can't make it to a hotel)

6) defrosters and heaters in 2002's are dysmal, be prepared if the temps drop below 0 F, you may have to stop and scrape the windshield from time to time to keep driving.

I'd buy a plane ticket...... or drive something else. I've driven I-84 17 times in the middle of winter from Portland,OR to the midwest and back, sometimes it's a breeze, sometimes it's a bear. The freezing rain and snow can make the mountain passes interesting for a rwd car at times!

WH

From a local..I think I would get a plane ticket.

However I do remember... fondly, when I was in high school my buddy Craig had a sweet 73, we would hook a ski rope on the rear bumper and ski on freshly snow covered roads wearing nothing but wool sweaters and sperry top siders.

He had studded snows and carried a bag of rock salt in the trunk, that car was like a tank and we had a blast.

OMG! My son is in high school and driving an 70. I wonder if he has a ski rope in the trunk.

Congrats. drive or fly safe.

Anything you want, all you have to do is try.

• 1 month later...

Sundance starts next week! Sadly I was not able to get tickets to your film in my desired avalable slots. :( (No worries, I'll be sure to see it eventually! It looks good, and if my schedule allows, I'll brave the cold to see if I can get a standby ticket)

Any other 02'ers going to be in town for this?

Rich

1972 Chamonix 2002 - Daily

1977 International Scout II