• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool old BMW vs cool old Porsche.....

achilles

cosmetics and drivetrain variables, the biggest single change in the early (pre 1974, fixed bumper) 911/912 series came between model years 1968 & 69 when the rear trailing arms were lengthened and the rear wheel openings moved aft to match. Most folks find the later cars to be a bit less "twitchy" due to the slightly longer wheelbase and slightly reduced rearward weight bias. The easy way to tell whether a car is "early" or "late" is to look at the rear wheel archs - '68 & earlier have rolled lip similar to an '02's, '69 and later have a small flare at the top.

Depending on your tastes and budget, there's an almost infinte range of combinations of engines / transaxles / suspension / brake / wheel options that can be put together - Porsche kept the same basic chassis configuration and basic engine / transaxle design well into the later years of air cooled production, so most everything will interchange with relatively little effort.

Personally, I always kind of wanted to rebuild a stripped, theft recovery 69/70 Targa into a lightweight cabrio with a 3.0 or 3.2 engine, G50 transaxle and Turbo brakes, but the cost of Porsche parts drove me out of that whole segment of the hobby.......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I have a 71' 2002

my dad has a 70' 911T

we stripped the paint ourselves and I seem to remember it having galvanization. either way I guess

try to look out for the head light buckets in addition to the battery trays and spare tire well.

and everyone is correct on parts

there are map holders that bolt into the door panels that sell for well over $1000 a pair

and recaro seats are going to be at least 2500 if you are lucky

we have seen them for as much as $10,000

a blast to drive

beautiful to listen to

good luck finding one you like

the car pictured is the current state of our 911, it looks darker in person

I had a 914 as well, it was a blast but is missing that oomph when you punch it, and it doesn't have the sound of a 911

post-15438-13667608180601_thumb.jpeg

I have a 71' 2002

my dad has a 70' 911T

we stripped the paint ourselves and I seem to remember it having galvanization. either way I guess

try to look out for the head light buckets in addition to the battery trays and spare tire well.

there are map holders that bolt into the door panels that sell for well over $1000 a pair

a blast to drive

beautiful to listen to

I had a 914 as well, it was a blast but is missing that oomph when you punch it, and it doesn't have the sound of a 911

post-15438-13667608180881_thumb.jpeg

I have a 71' 2002

my dad has a 70' 911T

a blast to drive

beautiful to listen to

post-15438-1366760818106_thumb.jpeg