• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solex C40 ADDHE rebuilding link

boxy02

• 5 months later...

There are Solex carb rebuilders & suppliers that supply the 356 Porsche (and some 911) community. The main problem w/Solexes is the throttle shaft bores wear. This is well known & dealt with by the Solex rebuilders by pressing a bushing into the carb body. Webers have a replaceable ball bearing. Nothing wrong with Solex carbs, they were well thought of in the time. I had Solex downdrafts on a 912 & they worked very well, even with some engine modifications, after I had the shafts bushed. The Porsche guys don't as a rule replace them like the Alfa guys seem to want to do. Network with some of the Porsche guys to find Solex rebuilders, or get a copy of the latest Porsche mag or PCA newsletter.

... The main problem w/Solexes is the throttle shaft bores wear. This is well known & dealt with by the Solex rebuilders by pressing a bushing into the carb body. Webers have a replaceable ball bearing. Nothing wrong with Solex carbs, they were well thought of in the time. I had Solex downdrafts on a 912 & they worked very well, even with some engine modifications, after I had the shafts bushed. The Porsche guys don't as a rule replace them like the Alfa guys seem to want to do. Network with some of the Porsche guys to find Solex rebuilders, or get a copy of the latest Porsche mag or PCA newsletter.

The shaft bores are generally not a problem on the later Solex carbs such as the ADDHE's. THe PHH's had this problem though, for sure.

Mike

74 2002