• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked head. Options????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everybody!

It is 2am and i have just pulled e12 head off a motor formerly in my car (pleez excuse any incoherency due to time and me being buggered. :) ) Anyways, this engine was pulled out 18 monthes ago or so when it would chew 1/2 a litre or so of coolant each time started, but had strong bottom end. I was hoping head gasket :P . Unfortunately a lil optimistic. On just a quick inspection, with naked eye, I could see at least three cracks. On #3, there was quite a fat ass crack, running between exhaust valve and the side of the cylinder. It is BIG. As it approaches valve seat it looks like a bit of metal has come out or something. It is about1-1.5mm wide there. There is also a fine crack b/w exhaust and spark plug. On #4 there is a crack similar to the bigass one on #3 but much finer.

Please keep in mind head still has carbon and crud on it so this is only very preliminary. I tried lookin real hard elsewheres for more, but i was going crosseyed, so figured was too tired and packed it in.

Ok, this is the bit where i ask for opinion from all you peoples out there. Do u think this is weld uppable, or does it sound too nasty? What is the extent of cracking on a head that is considered the limit of repairing before u just fold and buy another head? I probably wouldn't bother but the head gasket on my 73 is going weak pretty quick- leaking coolant down block, blowin steam on startup and running real rough when cold. I plan on getiing the original duffed motor happening sort of soon to replace weak motor. I can't do too much switchery as one in car = 121.

Anyhoo, I look forward to your responses, for if the concensus is that the head is Deader than Elvis, i won't bother getting it crack tested for other cracks and welded, I will just chase up another head.

Thanks in advance, have a brilliant day. (for a monday anyways)

Michael Smola

73 chamonix losing head gasket

75 inka with little or no valve seals

e12 in many bits.

Guest Anonymous

is this a job for alumatech? and the famous $300 rebuilt head, I know many people have strong opinions on them. I think we're gonna give them a try.

Guest Anonymous

Since your head has multiple cracks, I would definitely toss it and get another one. If the casting is so compromised that it has cracked in several places, even if you welded up all of the cracks, it would probably crack somewhere else if you began using it. E12 heads are plentiful, and used ones go for anywhere from free to $100 or so. I'd suggest a good used head.

Colin

Guest Anonymous

but I agree with the person below. it'd be a waste to weld up a head like that. You'd spend more $$$ getting it welded up then getting a used one and having it remaned. Famos words once said "You can't polish a turd" Last thing I heard from alumatech was that they were going out of business and weren't replying to calls/emails. I've got a nice new in the wrapper head gasket I can sell you if you want it for your 73. I'm not trying to sell myself here but I'm starting to build 02 motors and stuff for them.

Kris

70 02 Racer

76 02 Future Racer