• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column.

scestes

I'm trying to gauge the cost to replace my steering column. It vibrates pretty badly and I'm sure the top bearing is probably dusted. If I press into the steering column the vibrations, noise disappear. Anyone have one sitting around they're willing to let go of pretty cheap? I'd rebuild mine, but I understand the bearing and other bits are NLA.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

You might want to try to preload the upper bearing. You can loosen the bolt on the flange for the rag joint at the steering box and move the flange up the steering column shaft a little. You may have to loosen the bolts on the rag joint itself to allow the flange to move. This will 'pull' the shaft down similiar to what you do when you push on the steering wheel. I had to do this when I changed steering boxes - my steering wheel was loose and preloading the bearing fixed it.

Its worth a try as it won't cost you anything but some time.

One word of caution, disconnect the battery before you start - the positive terminal at the starter is close by. Don't ask me how I know.

Steve.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had done a search and read about this before and I'm pretty sure when I put the suspension back on the car after rebuilding it, that I did indeed preload it. I'm gonna have to crawl back under there and see what it looks like. Just to make sure, I think I want to have an extra column on hand. I'm pretty sure my bearing is shot. Thanks again!

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com