• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locking gas cap

ought2

My newly acquired locking gas cap fits too loosely on my '73 non Tii. I noticed a slightly different profile on the bottom side of the cap and a thinner, flatter washer (white, non rubber). I'm thinking the washer thickness may be the bugaboo. Before I remove the old rubber one from my other cap and stretch it over the new cap, I'd like opinions from others who've run into this. Thanks!

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I ran into the same problem when switching caps and just moved the old washer over to the new cap. The fit was a little tight at first when turning to close or open it so I put a bit of grease on there to help things along. After a couple of weeks the grease was gone and everything fit/worked perfectly.

Guest Anonymous

Not all caps have them. Rubber gasket fits on top of the slip ring.

I use powdered graphite to lube the gasket and mating surfaces. I think it is slipperier and lasts longer than grease.