• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring Clampetts

tsho

Hi All,

Funny play on words, haha!

Wondering if anyone has creative ideas on compressing front springs (while strut is mounted and all is on the car)? I wanted to quickly add hose to the top of my springs (the spring pad is gone, and I like the ride height).

I was going to try and do it without dropping the strut. I can almost get it just by hand. Tried ratchet straps, they're too long. Tried squeeze clamps, not strong enough.

Creative ideas?

I don't advocate doing it, but I know a few people who have had a few friends sit on the corner of the car, compressing the springs. Add a few dozen of your favorite high strength zip ties, and then have your friends get off the car (while standing back). In theory, the zip ties are strong enough to hold the spring down, you do your business, and then just cut them (maybe with the people back on the car to take off the load).

Again, not my choice of ways to do it, but I've seen it done. Autozone/Kragen/auto parts stores usually rent/loan spring compressors that should get the job done though.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD