• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What I learned about rocker installation (nt)

wagnerf15

While installing the rockers was largely uneventful, I found a lack of detail in both the Haynes manual and previous posts which left me with some questions to ponder/figure out by trial and error. Seems intuitive and it really is, but order of parts fitting and positioning of the rocker arm shaft are, obviously, critical.

1. Intake rocker shaft - position opening backwards to where the distributor housing will be (right underneath the oil pressure sender). As I drove this from front to back, I had to install (in order), spring, flat washer, rocker, collared washer with flat end toward rocker (the cup receives the clip, when installed). I drove the whole shaft too far through the head and the rockers weren't centered on the valve.....until I found the slot on the front end of the rocker that the cam plate fits in....then, it was obvious. A few whacks back the other way and, viola!, the rockers are centered. Easy, huh?

2. Exhaust rocker shaft - I'm experienced now....I'd never fuck this up. Shaft closed on both ends, so slot forwards, drive from front to back in the head. Install pieces like the intake and.......WTFO? That thing is never gonna center on the valve. Oh yeah, assembly order is reverse of intake (I suppose I could have installed this back to front for identical assembly order). So, as you're going front to back it'll be collared washer, rocker, flat washer then spring. And it's a lot of fun holding the spring still while you drive the shaft through the next mount.

Make sure the cupped areas on the shafts are positioned properly to receive the cylinder head bolts when installed....this lines up all the oil holes real nicely too. All in all, not a particularly hard job. If a blockhead like me can figure this out, I'm reasonably certain others can do it blindfolded! Now if I can just get that 292 cam and stuff it in the head, I'll be ready to go!

post-9412-13667596883869_thumb.jpg

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

You need a cam? I certainly hope not...but it wouldn't be the first time I did things out of sequence. I bought the cam removal tool from 2002 haus and removed the cam before the rockers when I dissambled. I'm hoping the reverse works too. Also, wouldn't it be sporty to get the rocker shafts over the rockers that were gonna be compressed by the cam? I guess I'll have more to report later...

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

If you don't have the tool mentioned, the cam needs to go in first. You have to rotate the cam a couple of times to get everything in place - the manual details this. My machinist warned me not to smack the side of the cam follower pad on a cam lobe, as they apparently do not like to see shear forces.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i