• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

life of a tii fuel pump

eaker02

74tii

What's the life of a tii fuel pump? When these things are over $400 you wonder what should put on the shelf. some one had a deal on one from a 73 model, do these fit on a 74? should a person even consider buying a older one?

I thought at one time I read where someone was using a pump from a later model car and half the price, not sure if it was a FAQ or from another site, but didn't see anything in the archives.

With this project car being from the NC, Virigina area this pump looks rusty on the outside.. doing good, just doesn't look good

Would like to hear some advice, tips on what other people do or have done.

thanks

They last a long time, but rust can get to them being in the strange spot that they are.

Here are your fuel pump options...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,298095/

I went the stock Tii fuel pump and cannister route as it works with the stock wiring which was important to me. As well, there is no question about getting the proper flow from a stock pump. There was nothing wrong with my old pump, which looked original, but it gave me the warm and fuzzies having a new pump in its' place.

If nothing else, I would take off the cannister and check it for rust - shake it and maybe used compressed air on it. And give the fuel pump a good look, clean it up and maybe give it a spray with rust paint (masking all the stuff you don't want painted). Replace the fuel filter as cheap insurance, and make sure you have the proper 12x18 fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump.

70 M2 2.5L 

Something else to throw into the mix - series 2 Jag XJ12's (and probably the six cylinder cars as well) use the same Tii pump. Only difference is the Jag has a Lucas sticker on it!

I've got 2 pumps that work OK but leak from around the electrical connection.

Anyway, I have no idea if Jag parts suppliers offer this pump and whether it's less than the faintly ridiculous 400 dollar BMW price tag, but it's worth a look.

Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg