• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear wheel arch mods

nbcbird

I have a question on the rear installation of Alpina fiberglass flares on my ‘71 2002 (the responses were mixed on another forum). Specifically, the process would involve bending the inner lip so it is an extension of the outer arch contour (a little over a 90 degree bend ). The sheet metal is double-walled in this area and I have no idea how much resistance this process might involve—the process is the reverse of rolling the lip, so I am hopeful that it could be done. Perhaps cutting the arch in smaller segments would facilitate easier bending without mal-forming the upper body panel too much. This process would allow a fairly easy installation without the customary cutting, reforming, and welding of the inner/outer panels involved with the larger “turbo” style flares. Anybody have some insight on this—or have a useless arch they could grab with a pair of slip joint pliers or crescent wrench and give a yank. Thanx for any info--Jim