• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seafoam alert!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The local sunday paper has an O'Reilly ad for Seafoam at $5.97/16 oz. Given the number of mentions of this product, this may of some interest to one or more of the board members.

Good stuff, but follow the directions CAREFULLY. I totaled a young 5.3L GMC engine with seafoam because I did not follow the directions precisely. When the engine stops running as you pour the product in, STOP POURING THE STUFF IN! Hydrolocking a cylinder never has a happy ending (pressure builds and has to be relieved somewhere, in my case, out the side of the block).

Bruce MacPherson

Winston-Salem, NC

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

You said it is "good stuff." So is Naval Jelly but not for my paint. Exactly what does it do and why do I need it in my stock, clean burning well maintained 72 Tii?

Thank you.

I was encouraged to try Seafoam on "Crusty" a 140k mile '87 4-runner that sits at a vacation home. There was nothing really wrong with the engine but we were changing oil and doing a number of maintenance items so "why not" said my neighbor's kid - a seafoam advocate. Well, we smoked out the neighborhood and it really looked like it was kicking loose some nasty stuff inside that engine - which apparently it was. ...because the next day, I drove up the hill and noticed some blue smoke - oh oh - yep, $4k and a rebuilt engine later, I'd solved that problem. ...sometimes leaving a sleeping dog lie is the best solution...

cheers,

Jack H

1967 BMW 1600

1969 BMW 2002 - "Pete" - Race Car

1969 BMW 2002 - "Willy" - Rally Car

1972 BMW 2002 - "Izzy" - M2

1973 BMW 3.0 CS - Bone Stock