• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Track day racing seat

Dejammey

I am looking for a good track day racing seat for my 2002. I looked and found the seat guide but still did not find a definitive answer on what fits the 2002. I just want a modern drivers side racing seat that fits and and could possibly recline. I just slide around way to much in the stock seats to do a track day or drive the car hard. I don't mind making a bracket.

Thanks for any help.

What I am working on is getting my NASA driving license and plan on doing one of their HPDE racing schools. The goal is to build a spec E30 but wont have the car ready for some time so I thought of running my 2002 in the schools the seat I will put into the car will maybe be moved over to the E30 but could stay in the 2002. I am looking for the seats you guys recommended now.

Thanks.

What I am working on is getting my NASA driving license and plan on doing one of their HPDE racing schools. The goal is to build a spec E30 but wont have the car ready for some time so I thought of running my 2002 in the schools the seat I will put into the car will maybe be moved over to the E30 but could stay in the 2002. I am looking for the seats you guys recommended now.

Thanks.

if you are doing a spec e 30..just buy a racing seat now....they are street useable ..I use mine for 4 hrs to WGI.....

a street style 2 pc seat will not get it done for spec......so you wouldnt be able to move it out of 02 into e30.

now if the car is a DD...I dont recall.....it could be a hassle climbing in and out......

... I just want a modern drivers side racing seat that fits and and could possibly recline. ....

Real racing seats to not recline. I'm very happy with my Ultra Shield Road Race (http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/). An AL seat typically requires a seat back support for full protection. The FIA rated CF do not but cost a lot more. If you use a real harness, make sure you are also using a proper support for the shoulder straps. (AKA roll bar or cage) Serious injury can happen if shoulder harnesses are not mounted correctly.

Also, I'm an instructor for several clubs in my area, one of the rules that all of the clubs I know of is that the passenger and drivers side must be equal.

Lastly, a proper seat with harness can make a huge difference at the track but the tight fit will make the car almost unusable as a daily driver.

Never too late to have a happy childhood

Boy .you've opened up a can of worms here...and your brain is prolly fried....we all went thru it...hahaha

A race seat CAN be comfy....many use them on street driving to track........I do.

an Ultra shield is very hardcore....and not as comfy a say a Sparco Evo( mine).....Recaro Pole position///etc....etc etc

you need to decide what you want ...2 pc or 1.....then we can help more.

And for most clubs.....equal does not mean EXACT!

ie..my seat is a 700 dollar Sparco...pass is a 220 seat from Corbeau...

my harnesss is a cam lock...pass is latch and link...about 50 buck savings.

You will need harness'...but can use oe belts on street.

Once you get harnesses....youll have fights w/ posters over need for harness bar/rb etc....

Boy .you've opened up a can of worms here...and your brain is prolly fried....we all went thru it...hahaha

A race seat CAN be comfy....many use them on street driving to track........I do.

an Ultra shield is very hardcore....and not as comfy a say a Sparco Evo( mine).....Recaro Pole position///etc....etc etc

you need to decide what you want ...2 pc or 1.....then we can help more.

And for most clubs.....equal does not mean EXACT!

ie..my seat is a 700 dollar Sparco...pass is a 220 seat from Corbeau...

my harnesss is a cam lock...pass is latch and link...about 50 buck savings.

You will need harness'...but can use oe belts on street.

Once you get harnesses....youll have fights w/ posters over need for harness bar/rb etc....

I think you hit it head on.

I just wanted to do a few track days with NASA to get my licence for spec E30. I think ill just buy a 1 pc seat for the my 2002 and do the classes then put it in my E30 when I get it up and running. I have a friend who will let me use his racing seat for the passenger if I need one. I am not going to put a cage in my 2002 but do plan on finding a harness that will bolt into the 2002 and the E30.

So with that i guess my question now is whats a good 1 pc seat that will fit a 2002 and E30 and a harness that will do the same?

Thanks again.

YOU MUST SIT IN SEATS before buying!!!!!!

they all feel different......truly.

Go to your closest track on an event day....and put your butt everywhere.

or post on bimmerforums.com in track section...alot of guys live in NC area.........go to the cars and sit in them.