• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

m42 swap in 71

antiaem

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, Looks like a cool project.

When you start driving it and if you find something funny about the handling, it might be the length of your tie rods causing bump steer. If you have to do anything about it, I suggest shortening the center link and then maybe the stock 528i tie rods. Shorten it by 2 1/2 (did you shorten the tie rods by 1 1/4 each?) and then sleeve it and weld.

Great project. The 318 motors are very cool.

John

thanks for the compliment,

....yeah im REALLY worried about the bump steer, im hoping its not too bad or even present. ill be doing alot of miles on the freeway, and it is a very bumpy trip, we have huge dips and speed bump like asphualt fixes. so ill know right away. taking the 2 1/2" out of the center link should fix that if need be. the only reason i didnt do that the first was that i wasnt sure how much it needed so i didnt want to just cut some random length out of a brand new piece. now everyone knows what to do, you really could even go 3" out of the middle. fyi.

what did you end up doing about the steering and tie-rod connections being opposite on the e28 rod? how did you solve that problem? im going to be cutting the 2 1/2 out of the center link rather than the tie rods....

great detail & just what I was looking for as I'm about to embark on the same conversion.

I didn't see anything around the electronics / electrical. Is that still coming?

1976 BMW 2002 (in need of a transplant)

1973 Ford F350 crew cab (390' 4-speed)

1963 Ford (289' 5-speed)

2003 330i BMW ESS Supercharger (sold and sorely missed), 1998 BMW K1200RS (sold)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Spencer,

I'm pretty sure the owner sold this car last year. I seen it out in ghent summer 09 and it sounded really nice.

Where in VA beach are u located? I'm local.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602