• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coming Home.

runcrashboy

I bought the Pertronix electronic ignition, coil and carter P4070 fuel pump to replace the Pro-Flo that's installed. I'll install this weekend and maybe, just maybe drive it to work.

The main issues are of course rust. This one has floor board and fender issues, while the other has frame rails that are rusted and bent. Any thoughts on replacing frame rails? (I'll keep trolling the forum, but I thought I'd ask.)

'75 Polaris

'76 Polaris (painted Red)

'05 Ford F-150 to tow '02s home

Replacing frame rails is a major pain. I am doing them in my 74tii (not me of course, my body guy). Most shop will shy away. Floor panels needs to be removed or cut. You can do it by cutting the spot welds and plug weld the frame rail but I think it is a compromise, you might as well weld new floor pans and weld the frame rails on the new pans. Also, frame rails need to be aligned per factory specs otherwise car may pool in one direction. Lots of work. May be body experts chime in. New frame rails from BMW will cost around $800+. You can use the old rails but they usually rusted out.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Frame rails will be expensive, since you need professional help doing it. However, it is a straightforward task for a professional , They have jigs they put the whole car into. Then they change the framerail, and it will be in th exact same spot as the old one.

You could actually do it yourself if you make a frame so you know that nothing will move while you have the old frame rail out. I am thinking about the shock mount tower alignment to the front axle. A strut bar will be good for the shock mount not moving side ways. Then something to attach the front axle to the shock mount will stop the shock mount to move away from the front axle up and downwards. Last you need something to stop movement forward and backwards. As an example, you attach something to the A-pillar and the front axle, and then see to that the body of the car does not move in respect to the entire front.

Nothing is impossible!

Guest Anonymous

Frame rails will be expensive, since you need professional help doing it. However, it is a straightforward task for a professional , They have jigs they put the whole car into. Then they change the framerail, and it will be in th exact same spot as the old one.

You could actually do it yourself if you make a frame so you know that nothing will move while you have the old frame rail out. I am thinking about the shock mount tower alignment to the front axle. A strut bar will be good for the shock mount not moving side ways. Then something to attach the front axle to the shock mount will stop the shock mount to move away from the front axle up and downwards. Last you need something to stop movement forward and backwards. As an example, you attach something to the A-pillar and the front axle, and then see to that the body of the car does not move in respect to the entire front.

Nothing is impossible!