• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT Regarding Air Compressor

justinevert

In my fortress of manhood known as the mancave where Lola sleeps, the motor to my 60 gal. V-Twin compressor has siezed. Looking around for a replacement I see the rpm on new 5 hp single phase 220v 20 amp motors to run either 1,750 or 3,400. Which one is the proper speed?

The motor plate on the old is missing and I am at a loss to which one to choose. Would someone be able to help?

Thanks in advance!!

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

Guest Anonymous

does you compressor pump have a plate with rpm? You could figure it out from the pulleys then. You might be able to figure it out just by looking at the size of the pulleys and deducing the rpm difference between the two.

Please excuse my ignorance, but as the pump is belt driven it really would not matter. The 3400rpm motor will have double the CFM output to that of the 1750rpm one - you can never have too much air.

Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

Guest Anonymous

The root of why you can't just double the rpm not work is that the motor must have the torque to be able to turn the load (and the compressor pump must be able to handle the rpm too). In electric motors, low torque motors turn at a higher rpm and through gearing (pulleys) you wind up at the same hp and rpm at the pump.