• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding drain holes, Questions

justinevert

What works best, do you put in the plates on top of the holes or underneath when you butt-weld them in?

Where can I get that 3M 5200 seal sealer, or do you recommmend the stuff that Por15 has?

Using a micometer, what would be the decimal read out for the various gauge of sheet metal (20, 18, 16) more curious than anything

If the floorboards have no damage (still have the factor primer on them), would it be overkill to cover them with Herciliner before laying over FatMat?

What do you all prefer, acid etched primer (green stuff) or Por15 treatment process?

Again, I can not thank you enough, maybe one day I can figure out how to send pics using that PhotoBucket system.

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

By drain holes you means the approx 3-4" holes in the floorpan? Why weld them? clean the up with a wire wheel and 'glue' them back into place, they twist to lock in place - do this with wet paint, POR-15 or your fav primer - or seam sealer.

Seam Sealer if you only need a little ask your local panel shop, it might only cost you a 6 pack :)

For 'gauge' thickness see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_metal_gauge

POR-15 or acid etch? Over factory primer I would just use a normal primer.

With loading pics - open a post in the TEST forum (just for testing - thats why its there) - below where you type is the 'Add an Attachment' field, click 'Browse' to locate your file, then click 'Add Attachment' - job done.

HTH Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver