• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electrical problem that keeps blowing #2 fuse

02hobiedave

Every time I turn on the parking lights the #2 fuse blows. The whole right side parking light circuit goes out. I have checked for bad bulbs and rust or corrosion at the contacts along with the grounds I could find. Does anyone have any idea's for a direction I should look in?

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Guest Anonymous

- assuming it hasn't been modified over the years.

The circuit is always hot - not switched through the ignition. Two Red/White wires come off the feed side of fuse #2.

One wire supplies power to your interior dome light. An easy Step #1 is to pull the dome light and check that the wiring and the switch are intact.

The other Red/white wire supplies power to your Hazard Warning Switch, and to Pin #2 of the main connector on the back of you instrument cluster. Pin#2 supplies power to the instrument cluster clock - if you have one.

I doubt its the feed to the clock - more likely to be a problem with your hazard switch. Unplug the connector from the back of the hazard switch and see if the short goes away.

Several owners besides me have had problems with mice taking up residence in the area under the fusebox. They are known to eat insulation off of wires. If you pull the fusebox out, its a good idea to first pull the ground cable off the battery.

If you're steady and confident - or the type who enjoys an occasional trip to the local ER - you can skip that precaution, remove the two hold-down screws, and peek underneath.

If you DO need to WORK on the bottom side of the fusebox - disconnect the battery.