• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looked like a pink floyd laser show under hood last night.

4onfloor

awesome!. . .

I have a 73 with pertronix and a red coil.opened the hood the other night to check something and my 1 month old ignition wires were arcing everywhere.Too each other,to the fender,basically anywhere they were near a ground.car runs fine,but obviously this situation would make for a weakened spark.Going to get new wires,but were these were bad out of the box or is something else going on?

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

What kind of wires were you running?

When you get new ones, might think of some high performance wires to go with that red coil. I'm running Ireland Engineering's wires What I really like about them is that the boots fit perfect.

Later

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Since this problem I ve looked at these wires more closely and I think they are bosch knock-offs of some kind.they look right but the brown plastic seems to be the wrong color.

maybee I'll try the irelands but shouldnt stock bosch be good?

thanks ,

Sam

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, but I have been using Red coils, Black Coils, Mallory Coils and even a Jacob's coil package on my 02 as well as several off road vehicles and have never had a problem with stock wires be they Bosch or Beru. I have seen corona's develope.

I have seen arcing when a plug terminal becomes loose and, I have seen and been shocked by wires that are cracked, melted or damaged. Big wires provide bragging rights and peace of mind but are hardly necessary for satisfactory performance.

My scientist friends tell me that given the right conditions, all high voltage wires - carrying electricity create magnetic fields that might be observable. Can you say tesla and Arora Borealis?

I agree with you.magnetic fields are powerful.Coronal discharges only ocurr at high frequency above 25khz or 50kv.I think I just had a shitty set of ignition wires though.

Thanks,

Sam.

P.S.How bout that Cern super Hadron collider in switzerland?

bitch'en spark or something there bro.

Guest Anonymous
How bout that Cern super Hadron collider in switzerland?

bitch'en spark or something there bro.

I don't think you need plug wires if you use a super collider. You might have a problem mounting it without restricting forward vision. I think a regular collider is all you probably need with a 4 cylinder, unless compression is a super high 9:1+!