• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guibo Install

doug73cs

I have a new six bolt flex disc to install and it even has instructions - sort of. The orientation depends on identifying the run out of the disc. What's run out and how do I identify it?

Thanks

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

Guest Anonymous

Giubos come in two common 6-hole styles, including the solid rubber donut (usually banded) and the "rectangular" fabric reinforced type. Which one do you have?

I cannot recall having seen any that have a specific direction or orientation (front/back) and wonder if you are misreading the instructions. Maybe you could post them?

I have seen the later style with indicator arrows for specific flange/bolt/nut placement, but not runout. What you are describing with runout almost sounds as though it applies to the center bearing 2mm preload.

I have been around for a long time and know quite a bit. But the more I know, the more I realize that there is so much more that I do not know. Is sea foam good for sore muscles too?

This is a Lemforder (sp) 6 bolt for the 5spd tranny/driveshaft from an 81 320i - part of the conversion I'm finishing. The Instructions will get posted latter.

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

This information was provided by Roy Larson, Beyer Motor Works, www.beyermotorworks.com Chandler, Az, as a response to a question I recently posed:

If you have the 3 bolt front flange with the Jurid style coupling, the arrows on the edge of the coupling must point to their respective flange ear. The ones pointing forward must line up with the trans flange and the ones pointing rearward must point to an ear on the driveshaft.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I get that " the arrows on the edge of the coupling must point to their respective flange ear. The ones pointing forward must line up with the trans flange and the ones pointing rearward must point to an ear on the driveshaft". No matter which way you turn this thing that will happen as a matter of course because the arrows alternate on side to the other.

The only way to tell front from rear is what they refer to as "run out" so what is run out?

IMG00009.jpg

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

esty- I don't think the issue is which is front or back, it's that the arrows align with the flanges.

Look at the picture I posted which show the arrows aligned with the flanges of both the tranny and the drive shaft. Imagine rotating the guibo one bolt hole clockwise and that would result in a mismatch of arrows and flanges. It's matching arrows and flanges that matters not the front or back.

That's what I mean about the directions.

76 Sahara 2002

73 CS Polaris

84 Tucker Snocat!!!

Guest Anonymous
clue me in...i'm still in the dark about what is front and rear....

So far as I can discern, these giubos are sui generis. There really is no front or back and the arrows must be for the hard of hearing or some other human failing. The instructions are ambiguous if not misleading. Let one arrow point to a flange, I can't think of another way you can couple the driveshaft and get it wrong. I think "runout" is a translation problem and refers to the thick portion of the rubber slab.

It seems silly that a giubo is directional. Sure, it may set up a wear pattern if rotated in the same direction like tires. However, this joint is stressed during acceleration AND deceleration. I have had the style depicted shred on me, but it is many many times tougher than the krispy kreme version with the belt around the equator!

HTH

Guest Anonymous

I need to expand briefly on my explanation. If you notice there is a thick area and a tapered "thinner" area on the disk. I am afraid I can't do a good job articulating this, but the disk is designed so that some portions are stronger than others and by using the arrows as a guide, it ensures that the stronger areas are mated to the flanges.