• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I tried to shorten my bumpers....

buh_buh

but failed miserably. I used the website everyone uses (http://www.my02.com/pages/2002.htm), and drilled the 3 shocks in the rear bumper. Fluid came out of all 3 shocks, but the bumper still wouldn't push in. I tried some WD40 on the shock, but still no go.

After trying a couple methods of pushing it in, my friend suggested that I try backing into something. So I lined up behind a lamp post behind my house, and tried pushing the bumper in. The driver's side went in a little bit, but the right side wouldn't budge. So now my bumper's lopsided.

Is it possible that they're seized? Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

I shorted my bumpers last month. Wow, what a difference it made. It will be worth the effort when you're done. I had the same problem. In the end I pulled my bumper off the car, removed the shocks from the bumper assembly, sprayed the crap out the shock with WD-40 and used a small sledge hammer to "persuade" the shock into itself. Worked in no time!! Have fun!

Scott Sammons

1974 2002

1989 325ix (Lost in the divorce)

1989 525i (Too Slow)

2003 330i

take off the bumper? How time consuming is that? I was getting wheelspin when I was backing up against the lightpost and it still wouldn't go in. I might need a bigger sledge hammer. Thanks guys.

Not that time consuing. There are 3 bolts that hold on the rear bumper and 2 that hold on the front. When I removed mine the front came out very easily. The rear took alittle more time. I was lucky that I found an early 02 bumper that I bolted on. Looks way better! The only part that sucked was removing all those nuts that held on the rubber accordian pieces.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!