• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 journey, Turbo with Megasquirt. 56k killer..

Mitch318i

So after lurking on this site for a while, picking peoples brains about the M10 engine, I decided to finally post my setup...

I took a leave of absence from this site for a while, only to be reminded of it by Roy with the Woodstock car.

So basically this is revision 2 of my setup.

First I'll give you a background of my previous setup..

"Homemade ITB's" Basically using GSXR 750 throttle units, with the stub manifold. Megasquirt as my engine management, EDIS for spark.

Roy was the one who purchased the megasquirt system from me, and actually won Targa Newfoundland '07.

... Pictures hosted on my facebook, as my picture server is gone screwy...

After some sad news involving Top end preformance, and a broken cam, and a 5-6 month insurance refund battle, I ditched the throttle bodies to go turbo..

I should add that this is in a e30 318i car.

My turbo setup consists of

A toyota turbo from a 02 soarer, ball bearing W/ ceramic turbine blade

440cc injectors

65mm Ford throttle body

GM coil packs from a '06 z06 corvette

My Megasquirt system consists of:

36-1 ford trigger wheel, coupled with a keen optical distributor from a early model dodge colt 1.5L engine, this optical pickup is needed for COP operation.

Running MS1, and the HighRes Code.

Wiring:

The wiring is minimalistic. all relays are contained inside the car, and all signals travel through a 35 pin Mil-Spec plug, the VR sensor wires use a fully shielded XLR plug for microphones, as I tried to prevent noise as much as possible.

Wiring for the fan and boost control as well as a Spare is contained in the right fender, using 12 gauge wire for current capacity.

Onward to the pictures.

n505973013_172730_9241.jpg

n505973013_172732_9759.jpg

n505973013_172736_788.jpg

n505973013_172737_1045.jpg

n505973013_172741_2063.jpg

n505973013_172742_2322.jpg

n505973013_172743_2583.jpg

n505973013_172744_2843.jpg

n505973013_172748_3897.jpg

n505973013_172751_4687.jpg

n505973013_172752_4946.jpg

n505973013_172670_4208.jpg

n505973013_172672_4723.jpg

n505973013_172673_4987.jpg

n505973013_172674_5252.jpg

n505973013_172698_1336.jpg

n505973013_172699_1610.jpg

..Mitch In Newfoundand Canada..

...Mitch

Guest Anonymous

It looks like you have really done your homework and know what you want to do. Nice touches with the MilSpec connector and aluminum stands on the valve cover.

You are using a mls head gasket? Where did you get it from?

Is there an equivalent Toyota sold in the US to the one you aquired the turbo from?

looking good!

It's a "JDM" turbo only..

but the engine is found on the newer supra 6cyl engines, since the soarer shared the same engine, which was 2.5L with VVTI.

It spools at about 2500 on my small 1.8L so I really cant complain.

The MLS gasket is sold my cometic, I have my compression ratio lowered to about 8.2:1, from stock 9.3:1

and thanks for the kind words, I wanted a setup that would be 100% reliable, since this setup has traveled 15k Km's this summer alone (in 2 months really) I'm VERY pleased.

Also the Mil-spec connector really simplifies wiring, as long as you do a proper job in designing placement of components, when you get to the engine side of things, all you have to do is connect to one main point, and it also makes removing the engine a snap, since its really only 3 plugs (the mil-spec, the vr sensor, and the O2 sensor.)

One thing I am proud of is using stock gm connectors for the valve cover, which allows me access to the valve train without removing the coil wiring, only 1 main plug and I can lift the top pan off.

...Mitch

Not sure, as I havent dynoed it yet..

but I should be getting around 200hp on 13psi I believe..

thats using an online calc.. so results may vary

Whatever you do, dont get a very thick MLS head gasket if you ever consider one..

my timing chain was too tight to fit at first, some modification had to be made on my tensioner in order to get the chain to fit (every bit you increase on the head gasket, you need twice the length of timing chain... so the problem becomes apparent pretty quickly.)

The td04, a mitsu turbo correct?

Should be sized about right for the m10..

if its a t4, then its way too oversized

...Mitch

That should be decent power :-) Any plans to up the boost yet?

What clutch are you using? I was planning to use a stock one and see if it copes with the torque.

I'm using the td04 off a impreza. Quick spool up and quite cheap to replace.

Using a stock headgasket for now. Will have to see when it bursts.

My project is online at www.telle.nl (i really need to update that though...)

cheers, jochem.

my stock headgasket held up to 15psi easy, It never blew or had any bad signs even. the only reason I swapped it out was due to wanting a more reliable engine (I always feared blowing the gasket)

I've been happy with the stock M10.. Its quite the strong motor.

I'm using the stock clutch, I've thought about upgrading, but it only seems to slip if I **Really** launch the car.. or if I go above 16psi (which I only hit on the highway, due to my boost control) so normally it's never an issue.

I'd really like to tune more into my spark maps, as of right now my egts are really high, so theres probably lots more power waiting to be released.. I just dont have a knock sensor, (I think its pointless on the m10, way too much valve tap) so I've just been keeping on the safe side.

...Mitch

hey mitch, where did you get the aluminum brackets to hold your lc1 connector on the firewall?? i pm'd you a couple months ago on e30tech asking this but you must not go on there much anymore. i need something like that that looks nice. i cant see zip tying the thing

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Hey,

Sorry for not replying,

The mounts are handmade, it took me about 5 hours to do both.

The easiest way to go about it is to get some thin cardboard, cut out a rough pattern, then go nuts with the file and invest in a carbide bit for your dremel/air tool.

I then tapped the back, using long screws, cut off to form studs,

then you can basically mount whereever you please..

...Mitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

nice setup indeed!

Did you have much trouble getting the coil packs going?

What did you use for the crank angle sensor (for the coil packs to work)?

Also that manifold really makes it easier for dump - mine is so tight, and no chance for moving larger than a 2.5" exhaust. (318i m10 turbo as well)

e30 // turbo m10

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in how you got the stock 318 manifold to work as the turbo manifold. did you custom make the adapter? how do you like the positioning of everything?

I'm trying to get started on my turbo project. I've been running efi for awhile now but haven't wanted to cough up the money for a turbo manifold yet. Let me know if you can help me with the details?

thanks,

chad

I'm interested in how you got the stock 318 manifold to work as the turbo manifold. did you custom make the adapter? how do you like the positioning of everything?

I'm trying to get started on my turbo project. I've been running efi for awhile now but haven't wanted to cough up the money for a turbo manifold yet. Let me know if you can help me with the details?

thanks,

chad