• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 bumper removal

Hello , sorry for the probably redundant thread. What is the way the big bumpers come off. I have a set of the Euro bumpers and brackets. Will those spring loaded mounts blow out when various bolts are loosened . Don't want to get maimed before I get to drive my new ride. The help would be great, and is there any special tools needed. Thanks Bernie

Nothing will blow out on you. There are 3 bolts in the rear and 2 in the front. (1 under the battery tray). The bumpers may need some persuasion after unbolting them though. I used a come-a-long and an oak tree.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

They are held on by a few bolts. Open the trunk, and you'll see 3 round caps. Remove the caps to get to the bolts. I think they are 18mm. Remove the 3 in the trunk. There is one in the center and one on the left and right side. Make sure to remove the accordian rubber things first. Then give it a few tugs. This might be the hardest part.

In the front, open the hood and you will see two bolts on the frame rail. Those are for the bumper. Again, remove the accordians first. You will have to remove the battery and break out all the extentions you have. This is a fairly easy mission. Good luck!

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

They just slide out assuming you have all the proper bolts disconnected. They're all obvious and easy to see if you haven't done so. It took me about a year to get them off of my project car. I finally got mad enough to muscle them out by alternating between a front to back and side to side pulling motion. I was mad and then it felt so good to finally get them free. It was like rough sex (did I just say that?).

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot