• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turbo m20 into '69 2002

M202002

the car has been in the family for years. my father was the 2nd owner and it was his daily for a long time. some early memorys i have are of him letting me shif the gears for him in it or late nights out in the garage working on it. after my dad got a new car it was parked in the garage and sat for a few years untill i totalled my first 240sx drifting. by then i was 17 and i loved driving the 02 but i still wanted another drift machine so when i graduated and started working more i bought another 240sx and did a sr motor swap and full suspension and had a lot of fun. i was getting pulled over all the time by the police and was being issued stupid fix it tickets all the time, also i had just got a great job and was making good money so i sold the 240 and got a new audi a4 which i still have as my daily. for a while i kinda forgot about the 2002 and was thiking about getting another 240 to start building.

then my friend calls me one day and tells me he totaled his e36 m3. it was a sad day, but few weeks later when he recived the check form the insurance company he told me that he had started looking for an e30 to swap his motor and trans into. then a light bulb flashed in my head. i told him that if he would look for a good running one i would buy the engine from him. so we went out and found a great 325es and pulled out the motor and trans. at the time i didnt even know there were people who had done this swap. finally i got intouch with 2002haus in san luis obisbo and found that they had mount kits for this swap.

so anyways after talking with my dad about the swap he got interested in it. he had always wanted to do something with the car but he didnt know what. so instead of me just doing the swap, we are joining forces and making it a father son project. he is concentrating on the body and i am doing the motor and suspension. we almost have it 100% stripped down the the shell and are sending it out to be sandblasted in a few weeks. i have the m20 which is a eta block(2.7l) and am going to get an 325i head and run a turbonetics turbo. i am going to build a megasquirt system for it.

so now you know the history of the car aswell as a little about me and my plans for it. i have great connections with turbonetics and am getting a great deal on a mainfold, t3/t4 turbo, wastegate and 2 small intercoolers(i am going have one right next to each headlight) and have a large aluminum koyo radiator for it. i am also having a cage put in to reinforce the rear suspension. right now i am still up in the air with the brakes suspension and diff but i have enough on my plate and am going to do alot of reaearch before i commit to any one thing. our goal is to have it up and running by bimmerfest. i will post pictures soon and will keep you guys updated with any major event. opinions and suggestions are welcome

bmw200002.jpg

here is the m20 on the stand waiting for its new head:

P1010324.jpg

P1010326.jpg

trans:

P1010337.jpg

eeexcelleent. there's a get together in Burbank this saturday. I think im bringing my M20-02. hope to see u guys there

where in burbank? we'll definately be there. id love to see your car and ask some questions...

Holset turbo

ive heard people talking about holset turbos before. whats up with them?

they are cutting edge on efficiency. I think it is the hx45 that is well suited for the m20.

the old t3 ot t4 ot hybird is jsut that, old.

It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries

Holset turbo

ive heard people talking about holset turbos before. whats up with them?

they are cutting edge on efficiency. I think it is the hx45 that is well suited for the m20.

the old t3 ot t4 ot hybird is jsut that, old.

yea ive done some research sence then. the "old" t3/t4 is fine. i am getting a awesome deal on all the hardware thanks to my friends over at turbonetics

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a nice 325i head last week and stripped it down. i will be sending it to the machine shop next week to be pressure tested, checked and possibly milled if it isnt square and when i get it to the shop were going to discuss porting it. i am going to build the head but for now i will be leaving the bottom end stock. once i get it up and running i want to see how much power i can get with it then i will probably buy another block and get some forged pistons for it. ill throw up some pics of the head later. i have to get a new cam however as the stock one that cam with the head isnt in great shape. from what i hear the stock cam works well with turbo but i have also heard of swedes running turbos on 272s so idk which cam i will be going with.

• 1 month later...

I would join up at e30tech.com for lots of information on turboing m20s if aren't already a member. I have a turbo m20b25 running MSnS at the moment. I would also look into a e30 subframe swap as I don't see the 2002 diffs holding up to much abuse. I know I shattered some gears on mine with a N/A m10..

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002