• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion springs on 'bonnet' Is there a way to restore tensio

PeterVarga

Response for CK....Thanks for the URL....If I remember correctly, I removed the entire unit, inspected it and the end slots were not deformed, just dirt and paint. They were 'normal' to the mount and therefore changing them end for end didn't affect the preload in either direction. And the strange thing is that when I got the car, they worked fine. I think they just fatigued. I don't think they got swapped out.

I guess the last resort fix is have the foundry heat them and reset their offset and quench them. But how did they fatigue in the first place!

If you can, try to "pre-load" (or pre-tension) the bars before you bolt it back in - try rotating one end cap so there is already tension in the bars when it's open. You'll probably need to fiddle with the end cap position to get it right.

After 30+ years there will be some fatigue but I don't t think you need to go the foundry route.

Good luck

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

• 4 months later...

Final Final on the springs....purchased replacments

installed them. Fixed the problem. Seller listed

springs in 'great condition' and infact, springwise,

they were. The lesson here is look at the offset

angle at the ends of the torsion spring. They should

be 90 degrees. The worn out set were about 45 degrees

offset. It makes a difference.