• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proposed anti-spam guest poster mod (javascript OK?)

Is Javascript OK for most Guest Posters (anti-spam mod)?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is Javascript OK for most Guest Posters (anti-spam mod)?

• Yup - Its no problemo
    • Nope - It'll cause me heart problems
    • What is this Javascript you speak of? I'm using lynx on my atari

So the bots are scraping the page and figuring out the guest poster code (which rotates each day), so rather than have it sitting in a nice html field I'm thinking about using javascript to set the parameter.

This will make it a lot harder for the bots to figure it out (i think, since the parsers are looking for HTML not javascript) -- and you won't have to answer a question any more when you post.

But it won't work for people using browsers without Javascript enabled. Now regular registered people won't even see this, but Guests will have to deal.

Any major objections?

So the bots are scraping the page and figuring out the guest poster code (which rotates each day), so rather than have it sitting in a nice html field I'm thinking about using javascript to set the parameter.

This will make it a lot harder for the bots to figure it out (i think, since the parsers are looking for HTML not javascript) -- and you won't have to answer a question any more when you post.

But it won't work for people using browsers without Javascript enabled. Now regular registered people won't even see this, but Guests will have to deal.

Any major objections?

This most likely will not work. Are you talking about doing a document.write() via javascript?

Google and others will not fire-off a javascript request but any decent screen scraper will.

forum-sig.gif

Any major objections?

This most likely will not work. Are you talking about doing a document.write() via javascript?

Google and others will not fire-off a javascript request but any decent screen scraper will.

ya, but can they do onsubmit() ? I'm using a bit of document.write but also when you hit submit it sets the hidden parameter to a value generated by the server that rotates each day. Actually 3 parts combined, so the correct value doesn't actually exist on the page .. only the algorithm that generates the value and some variables. That value is checked against the daily value on the server.. and if its missing or doesn't match it fails. I'm pretty sure you have to actually click the button to be able to post.. well kinda sure.. hopefully sure.

Like you say it probably won't work against everyone .. those suckers are smart!!!

ya, but can they do onsubmit() ? I'm using a bit of document.write but also when you hit submit it sets the hidden parameter to a value generated by the server that rotates each day. Actually 3 parts combined, so the correct value doesn't actually exist on the page .. only the algorithm that generates the value and some variables. That value is checked against the daily value on the server.. and if its missing or doesn't match it fails. I'm pretty sure you have to actually click the button to be able to post.. well kinda sure.. hopefully sure.

Like you say it probably won't work against everyone .. those suckers are smart!!!

I've seen some smart ass bots but most are dumb. I think its a good test actually. As one of my business partners always said, "Its better than it was right? Then go build it Mills!".

If that doesnt work its really really easy to whip up one of those images with the text string in it. The GD library in PHP is perfect for that.

forum-sig.gif

• 3 weeks later...

well its been almost a week and no guest spammers

heh.. just a matter of time, but i think i got the suckers at least for now.

Need to update the reg process tho .. now we're getting hit from bot registered assholes.. but not guests!!

feels good though .. battling robots .. who would have guessed?