• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical gremlins

B-Doon

I know I asked this question sometime last year...but I couldn't find it when searching my old posts.....

Last fall I finished my tranny swap, and afterwards the buzzer on the seatbelt warning things started going off intermittantly. It would get progressively worse as it warmed up....

Now it comes on and stays on when you turn the key and start the car....I thought I remember someone saying that it's a ground issue, and that there is a ground point under the driver's seat...whcih I couldn't find...Could someone perhaps shed some more light on this? Can I just disconnect(cut) a wire to shut this thing off? Everything else works great!

Thanks,

Brian

The wiring for the belts comes from under the rear seat and along the sides of the tranny hump to the base of the stems. If you carefully lift the carpet at the base of the seat belt stems you can access the plugs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

you can try pulling them back to under the rear seat and see if it clears.

From there it runs along the drivers rocker to up under the dash, you can just keep following them back. I am willing to bet the problem is under the carpet and not under the dash but stranger things have happened.

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

unfortunately they were allready under the back seat. Apparently a P.O. put a new carpet set in at one time, and now I would have to cut a hole in the carpet for the two ends of the plug to make contact....

I've got my haynes and chilton books out, and I'm going to look for the ground points......Anyone else have any suggestions????

Peace,

Brian

a switch on the shift shaft in the tunnel -- something to do with detecting neutral or not. My 72 tii had one. That was factored into the seat belt buzzer logic somehow. It's possible your car had one that was removed in the tranny swap. Maybe the wires were left dangling and are intermittently touching something? Check the harness for the backup light switch at the tranny and see if it has a second pair of wires.

If the seat belt buzzer is the same as the key-in buzzer, and I think it is, you can try unplugging it. It's clamped between the steering column and the lower column cover.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators