• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rudy's 1969 1600-2 Chamonix

gruizer

Okay, so I want to start by saying THANK YOU to everyone who has put their 02 cents on my project so far, you guys are great. This is not my first BMW I've had two previous 2002's, I'll include pics of those as well.

Where it began with the 1600:

I finally convinced the wifey to let me look for an old 2002 that I could use as a daily driver. She said as long as she get's to drive it once and a while it's all good. I found a 1600 on craigslist (this is starting to sound like Azee's blog) so I drove out to Oakland to look at it. The owner spoke very little english but fortunatly, I speak spanish also. He said he had bought the car about 2 years ago at an estate sale with the intention of restoring it. Money got tight and so he put it on craigslist. I put it on a trailer and took it home the very next day. I started to clean it out and I found paper work that tied the car to the original owner (he bought the car new in Oakland in 1969 and kept it until 2005).

The car has some rust issues as you can see in the pics below, I think I will just replace the trunk lid but everything else will get some good ol elbow grease. I plan on repainting it the original color.

The vin# is 1567083 and it has original black plates. Car is virtually unmolested.

post-2493-13667573372056_thumb.jpg

post-2493-13667573375549_thumb.jpg

post-2493-13667573376138_thumb.jpg

nice score. i too got an unmolested 70 that was in tough shape. but the nice thing is the electrical is just like it left the factory. no hacked harness,,, nothing ever added or cut out.that in itself was a real bonus. keep the pics coming

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally had some time to work on the little bastard. It's been really hard with a newborn baby. Anyway, I noticed that my halfshafts were leaking fluid which also meant that my car was blessed with the type that are a PINA clear boot not the CV type. Instead of trying to put new boots, i decided to "upgrade" to CV joint halfshafts. I went to Double 02 and bought some used ones for cheap. I used all new hardware.

I also replaced my old rusty exhaust with a new stock system from the downpipe back. I went with the Ansa. It sounds ok and it was alot easier than I thought it would be. here is a pic that shows both.

post-2493-1366757714172_thumb.jpg